Progress on large CNC router

Calvin Miracle

Jul 15, 2015, 12:52:09 AM7/15/15
to lv...@googlegroups.com

This note is mainly to keep Bob S, Brian W, Aaron V  and woodworkers posted.

As I suspected, the Dell computer for Brian's kit CNC router had ingested a lot of sawdust.

Thanks for help from Cody and Blaine, I was able to blast it out with compressed air. After
that, I plugged it in and fired it up..  It worked without interruption for about half an hour.
Progress! Can we now try a test job????

Since Brian specially prepared the kernel for this machine's OS to respond to real-time
events, it's just about the only game in town for the kit router. Bob and Brian both point
out that this machine should not be on the club network, should not receive OS updates.
Updates may fail Brian's preparation. We should consider it a dedicated stand-alone
system for use only on the large router.

The computer will likely have to be air-dusted clean on some semi-regular schedule, and
possibly kept powered down after use. The fans in the power supply, CPU, GPU, and case
just soak in dust. Dmitri and Blaine each suggested special air handling schemes for CNC
computers operating in dusty surroundings. That's a lot of trouble, I don't know.

Thanks all, I expect to be in Friday night..  Take care

-- Calvin

John Howard

Jul 16, 2015, 12:26:39 AM7/16/15
to lv...@googlegroups.com

Would it be feasible to build an airtight box for the computer and run ductwork for air intake and exhaust? With the intake coming from outside the woodshop?

Calvin Miracle

Jul 16, 2015, 7:05:53 PM7/16/15
to lv...@googlegroups.com

Hi John,

Building an air filtration system or conducting in fresh air for the computers is an option, but
it's a lot of trouble. Also I think the plan is to have three routers in operation, each with their
own (eventual) computer. So what you suggest would have to conduct in cool clean air and
discharge heat for at least three systems.

So three suggestions to handle dust in the computers might might be:
    - fresh/filtered air brought to the systems with waste heat discharged;
    - limit power-on time and schedule regular downtime for manual cleaning;
    - place the computers in a distant clean area and "extend" their interfaces into the workshop.

Each idea has pros and cons.. I believe that manual cleaning might be simplest of all, at
least until all the routers are in operation and the club has had a chance to assess their
use and everyone's desire to go to further trouble to make them a real dressed-out installation.

Thanks

-- C

Michael Hammons

Jul 17, 2015, 2:34:17 AM7/17/15
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Cheap way and might sound funny, block all holes not needed and then use LARGE carbon filled fish tank filters to cover the intakes. I've seen it done a few times when watching wood working videos on youtube.

Daniel Johnsen

Jul 17, 2015, 7:03:25 AM7/17/15
to lv...@googlegroups.com, cbmi...@gmail.com
Great work Calvin!