Arduino 101 Workshop - May 21, 12PM - 4PM

Nathan Armentrout

May 16, 2016, 7:28:05 AM5/16/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace

Learn the basics of Arduino and how to leverage this embedded platform for your next electronics project. We’ll cover how to control LEDs, motors, and communicate with a variety of sensors using the Arduino IDE. We’ll also cover general electronics topics including voltage and current and basic components like resistors and capacitors. We’ll provide the Arduino and other electrical components, but you cannot take them home with you. If you want a set, I’ll make recommendations at the workshop.

Sign up here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/arduino-101-workshop-tickets-25200230568

What you need to do before the workshop:

1. Load your laptop with the latest Arduino IDE installed (https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software) and bring it with you

2. Brush up on C or other programming languages, just enough to be familiar with the big ideas (e.g. variables, loops, if-statements).

3. Get excited, you’re about to learn some really awesome stuff :)

Joshua Wilson

May 16, 2016, 5:50:40 PM5/16/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Which Arduino boards would be the best to buy? Are any of the Arduino kits any good?

Nathan Armentrout

May 17, 2016, 8:05:31 AM5/17/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace

ginnyjollykidd .

May 17, 2016, 8:19:36 AM5/17/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com

The one thing that kept me from doing this the last time was not being able to have a proper IDE on my tablet. Anybody know of A Google Play app that would do well?
Thanks.
Ginny

Greg Miller

May 17, 2016, 9:20:02 AM5/17/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Amazon is good if you really need something in a couple of days, but they are usually several bucks more expensive which makes a big difference an cheap items.  IMHO, Ebay is the place to go.  The cheapest items are usually shipped from China and usually take 2-3 weeks to arrive, and sometimes even longer, so you do have to plan ahead.  For popular items, there are usually US sellers that stock them and can have them on your doorstep in 4-5 days.

UNO from China for $3.22
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-UNO-R3-ATmega328P-CH340-Mini-USB-Board-for-Compatible-Arduino-A-/111803631029?hash=item1a080405b5:g:dr8AAOSwI-BWKFzM

UNO from US for $6, delivered Saturday.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNO-R3-ATmega328P-CH340-USB-Board-for-Compatible-Arduino-DIY-/201435555190?hash=item2ee67ea576:g:koAAAOSwiLdWAoTe