Suggestions for a Coding Project

Nate Klein

Nov 29, 2017, 10:48:18 AM11/29/17
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Hi Everyone!

I attended my first LVL1 meeting last night and enjoyed my time. I just graduated from a coding bootcamp and am interested in starting a new coding project for fun.

Does anyone have a project/website suggestion or idea that they would like to share? I thought about designing an App that would work when the user is placed on hold. When someone finally picks up the phone, then the user would be notified that the call has resumed.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Nathan

Brian Wagner

Nov 29, 2017, 10:51:34 AM11/29/17
to LVL1 - Louisville's MakerSpace
May I suggest you try doing some hardware hacking and coding using an arduino.  Get some LEDs flashing!  Loads of fun.  We can help.

https://create.arduino.cc/projecthub/glowascii/neopixel-leds-arduino-basics-126d1a

I am not sure how you would write the app you are talking about.  I have dabbled in Android programming but I am not a big fan of Java.

Brian

Ben Hibben

Nov 29, 2017, 11:22:39 AM11/29/17
to lvl1
Bruce has been looking for folks to help out with his startup idea off and on as I recall:

Blenster

Rachel Carrigan

Nov 29, 2017, 11:49:44 AM11/29/17
to lv...@googlegroups.com
How about an app that triggers an alert if a particular Facebook page posts something? IFTTT has a lot of FB stuff but it's all about cross-posting to FB from other apps. I'm in several groups that communicate through FB pages but I hate having to check FB to just see if any new info exists.

-Rachel
Rachel

Nate Klein

Nov 30, 2017, 2:53:03 PM11/30/17
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
This looks really fun, Brian! I haven't done any hardware hacking, but I love working with it. Maybe I could come by and chat with you about using an arduino at LVL1 sometime?

Brian Wagner

Nov 30, 2017, 3:28:09 PM11/30/17
to LVL1 - Louisville's MakerSpace
I am about to begin working on a neopixel project as soon as i get the supplies.  Sometime next week I think.  I will let you know.