Wanted: Learning 3D Printing

m...@codethebeard.com

Aug 27, 2017, 9:15:48 PM8/27/17
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
I've got a couple of people that would love to attend a 3d printing workshop, myself included. YouTube and articles are great, but having someone walk through the process is a lot better. Is there anyone that would be willing to hold a small workshop or maybe a small something on a Learn-A-Thing day?

ginnyjollykidd .

Aug 28, 2017, 11:24:27 AM8/28/17
to lv...@googlegroups.com
I am interested in such a workshop, too.
Yours,
Ginny 😎💜

On Aug 27, 2017 9:15 PM, <m...@codethebeard.com> wrote:
I've got a couple of people that would love to attend a 3d printing workshop, myself included. YouTube and articles are great, but having someone walk through the process is a lot better. Is there anyone that would be willing to hold a small workshop or maybe a small something on a Learn-A-Thing day?

Tim Miller

Aug 28, 2017, 11:27:19 AM8/28/17
to LVL1
i will do a small workshop soon on operating the printers when i get back into town. it will not cover design just the machines and materials.

m...@codethebeard.com

Brian Wagner

Aug 29, 2017, 1:43:55 PM8/29/17
to LVL1 - Louisville's MakerSpace
3d printing is an art and you have to get a feel for it and that requires messing some stuff up.  That said, we have come a long way with our prusa mk2s  They seem to be easy for the space to maintain.  However if something does go wrong, don't just grab a screwdriver and go hacking away at it.  Post a message to bro...@lvl1.org and one of our 3d printing ninjas will get it running again.  Here is our machine.  Watch videos.  Ask Questions, Read the instructions and try it!  You won't mess it up that much.  http://shop.prusa3d.com/en/3d-printers/59-original-prusa-i3-mk2-kit.html

Brian

Oh and if you want to design something try tinkercad.com to start with.

m...@codethebeard.com

Aug 29, 2017, 2:02:01 PM8/29/17
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Great info Brian. Definitely will reach out for any issues that I might encounter. I've been messing around in Fusion 360 a little bit, reminds me of the days back in college puttering around in 3ds Max. I kinda like it because it moves the rendering to the cloud and doesn't heat up my computer. hehe. I've got a few projects that I'm working on that need some enclosures and it'd be really nice to have them 3d printed. I'll definitely start watching / reading on the Prusa. Thanks for the help, guys!

Brian Wagner

Aug 29, 2017, 2:43:09 PM8/29/17
to LVL1 - Louisville's MakerSpace
The laser cutter can also make nice boxes.  http://www.makercase.com/  much faster than printing

Message has been deleted

m...@codethebeard.com

Aug 29, 2017, 2:59:37 PM8/29/17
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Yeah I thought about that and I definitely will have some use for the laser. But I think that 3D printing will get me closer to what I'm wanting rather than gluing layers of acrylic or something together from a laser job. I am going to need some stand-offs, and ways to pressure fit pieces together or have some counter sunk holes for screws.

cke...@outlook.com

Aug 29, 2017, 6:54:24 PM8/29/17
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
i could do a beginner class. my life back into a good routine, after the move and job change. it would a saturday or sunday

McCarthy, Patrick (GE Appliances, Non-GE)

Sep 1, 2017, 9:39:52 AM9/1/17
to lv...@googlegroups.com

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1068443

cool thing to try…

Patrick McCarthy

Office 502-452-4071

Mobile 502-939-1756

David Ortiz-Grob

Sep 1, 2017, 10:04:25 AM9/1/17
to lv...@googlegroups.com
SORCERY!

Amy

Sep 1, 2017, 10:24:06 PM9/1/17
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
I would be interested in a 3D printing class as well. I think thats a great idea!

Dr Wes Barnes

Sep 8, 2017, 11:07:17 PM9/8/17
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
My advice to anyone interested in 3d printing is to buy a kit from eBay and assemble it yourself, only takes a couple hours if you can tell a Phillips from an Allen, costs less than a good night out, and you will have a much better idea of what is happening when something goes wrong. Gave my 13yr old a 3 color machine last month and he had the 3dbenchy tugboat printed by that night.

Dr Wes Barnes

Sep 8, 2017, 11:20:37 PM9/8/17
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
And once you do start printing, level the bed, then check it again, then check it a third time, use blue tape on the plate and spray with hairspray right before you print, and use quality filament. 3d solutech has never let me down on quality and is very competitive on price. The wood filament is particularly nice from them.

Amy Shah

Sep 8, 2017, 11:21:28 PM9/8/17
to lv...@googlegroups.com
What 3d printer did you buy? Can you post a link of it?

> On Sep 8, 2017, at 11:20 PM, Dr Wes Barnes <drwes...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> And once you do start printing, level the bed, then check it again, then check it a third time, use blue tape on the plate and spray with hairspray right before you print, and use quality filament. 3d solutech has never let me down on quality and is very competitive on price. The wood filament is particularly nice from them.

Dr Wes Barnes

Sep 9, 2017, 12:06:59 AM9/9/17
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
The one I got him was a geeetech rostock 301,was a little under 300 bucks shipped, but there are single and dual head versions that are cheaper. I've had good luck with the geeetech brand though as far as Chinese machines go. Just make sure to bump up the stepper motor driver voltage to .9-1.0 and get them all set as close to the same as possible. Also take feeder and hot end upgrades quite easily. Also highly recommended a ups as a power blip 6 hours into a print will drive you crazy, and don't forget to set your computer to not power down automatically lol...

Dr Wes Barnes

Sep 9, 2017, 12:14:39 AM9/9/17
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
I also set up all of my machines (3d printers, plotters, horizontal band saw, etc), basically anything that can run while I step away, with ip cameras that I can all view multiplex style on the tablet or phone so I am not tied to that room all day. I use ones by amcrest, their software is wonderful and lets me bundle cameras by groups. Small pinhole wifi cameras will mount directly onto the print head on some printers for an amazing view 😀

Dr Wes Barnes

Sep 9, 2017, 12:29:08 AM9/9/17
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Here's how it's set up, did a custom stand with a built in ups and power controls for the lights and exhaust fans, and an extra 80ah of sla batteries in the bottom for extended run time. Stand anchored into the walls and floor for rigidity, but adding weight works also. The more stable your platform the better your prints.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tXm8oLOYxFwEf9iN2

Dr Wes Barnes

Sep 9, 2017, 12:45:05 AM9/9/17
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Very first print out of that machine, no tweaking of the stock settings, and slightly too much gap between head and plate to begin with, but still not too shabby, 1.5x size on original 3dbenchy tugboat file printed directly through USB with 1.75mm pva

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fKl7kxTlYAX5ZxZE3

Dr Wes Barnes

Sep 9, 2017, 12:53:07 AM9/9/17
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Excuse the rough construction lol... Still finishing up and still working on the housing for the new water cooler and controls to the left of this, putting in a new 120w laser since I finally sold the 60w one 😁😁😁😁

Greg Miller

Sep 10, 2017, 6:13:59 PM9/10/17
to lv...@googlegroups.com
I got one of those too, didn't have a great experience with it.  Put it together, powered it up, tested x axis, y axis, z axis blew a fuse.  Checked all of the wiring, replaced the (soldered in) fuse, blew again.  Replaced the power supply, and it worked.  And below is a link to a Hackaday article about concerns of the design potentially catching on fire.  These aren't bad printers, but just know it's going to be more work, and possibly more expensive, than just assembling the parts from the kit.

Dr Wes Barnes

Sep 10, 2017, 6:24:56 PM9/10/17
to lv...@googlegroups.com
That article relates to the clones of the i3, and used an older design control board and mosfets which have all been updated to fairly decently rated components on the newer models, and wobbly z axis issues obviously aren't an issue with the delta style printers. But you are correct that it will obviously not be the same as a good quality machine, but you can also buy a 12 pack of these for the cost of one makerbot lol... My point was not so much that they were great machines, but that they were worth their cost for the knowledge gained from the assembly and setup process that will save lots of time later when diagnosing issues with any additive manufacturing process.

Tim Miller

Sep 11, 2017, 7:41:49 AM9/11/17
to LVL1
for those who still want to learn how to operate the 3d printers at the space, how does Monday 28th at 6pm sound. i can do additional days in the future  but wanted to get something on the calendar soon.  will cover how machines work, how to slice your model, different material properties, and simple troubleshooting tips.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace" group.

m...@codethebeard.com

Sep 11, 2017, 9:38:46 AM9/11/17
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Thanks Tim! That would be great for me.

ginnyjollykidd .

Sep 11, 2017, 3:08:25 PM9/11/17
to lv...@googlegroups.com
I'll put it on my calendar.
Ginny Jolly 😎💜

On Sep 11, 2017 9:38 AM, <m...@codethebeard.com> wrote:
Thanks Tim! That would be great for me.

John McCord

Sep 11, 2017, 6:19:39 PM9/11/17
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Count me in as well, Thanks!

Todd Welsh

Sep 14, 2017, 1:35:10 PM9/14/17
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
I'm there.  Thanks again.

m...@codethebeard.com

Sep 18, 2017, 2:33:59 PM9/18/17
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Hey Tim! You mentioned Monday the 28th. The 28th of September is a Thursday, did you mean the 18th; today?

Tim Miller

Sep 18, 2017, 4:55:58 PM9/18/17
to LVL1
crap i meant 18th  today

Tim Miller

Sep 18, 2017, 4:57:33 PM9/18/17
to LVL1
so i will do today as planned but poorly conveyed and Thursday the 28th

m...@codethebeard.com

Sep 18, 2017, 5:07:18 PM9/18/17
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
I won't be able to make it today. But definitely the 28th! Sorry. :/
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to lvl1+uns...@googlegroups.com.

m...@codethebeard.com

Sep 27, 2017, 9:39:27 AM9/27/17
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Hey Tim, are you still available tomorrow to go over some printer stuffs? I've got a couple people coming with me that's interested.

Tim Miller

Sep 27, 2017, 1:11:31 PM9/27/17
to LVL1
Yes I am still planning on being there