Non-Member Access Request Saturday11/19 6pm

Rachel Peterson

Nov 17, 2016, 10:42:40 AM11/17/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Hi. I'm interested in coming by this Saturday around 6pm to work on fixing/restoring an older electronic Celestron telescope I found at Goodwill. I have no idea what I'm doing but having access to the electronics area should be helpful. Will any members be at the space around that time? Thanks

David Ortiz-Grob

Nov 17, 2016, 2:38:50 PM11/17/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com
I will most likely be around. Also that sounds awesome.

On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 9:31 AM, Rachel Peterson <raepe...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi. I'm interested in coming by this Saturday around 6pm to work on fixing/restoring an older electronic Celestron telescope I found at Goodwill. I have no idea what I'm doing but having access to the electronics area should be helpful. Will any members be at the space around that time? Thanks

Rachel Peterson

Nov 17, 2016, 4:39:46 PM11/17/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Thanks David - that's super. Looking forward to it.

On Thursday, November 17, 2016 at 2:38:50 PM UTC-5, David Ortiz-Grob wrote:
I will most likely be around. Also that sounds awesome.
On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 9:31 AM, Rachel Peterson <raepe...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi. I'm interested in coming by this Saturday around 6pm to work on fixing/restoring an older electronic Celestron telescope I found at Goodwill. I have no idea what I'm doing but having access to the electronics area should be helpful. Will any members be at the space around that time? Thanks

McCarthy, Patrick (GE Appliances, Non-GE)

Nov 17, 2016, 4:49:22 PM11/17/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com

Are you looking at working on the clock drive, or is the mirror assembly the issue?

Patrick McCarthy

Office 502-452-4071

Mobile 502-939-1756

Rachel Peterson

Nov 17, 2016, 5:05:11 PM11/17/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
First time cracking open a telescope. I know there's a dusty mirror in there. When I plugged in the battery pack with fresh batteries, the hand control didn't start up. The bolts and metal parts are rusted. It was super dusty when I found it. I think it's a late 90's model that was sitting in someone's garage for years.... It seems to be a pretty good telescope with the hard case and assorted lenses and other stuff - nothing seems to be missing.

That's all I know. I'll be fumbling my way through with a little help from the internet. I plan on taking it apart, cleaning what I can, looking for loose connections and corrosion... I'd be thrilled to get some advice from a knowledgeable person.

Gracias

Greg Miller

Nov 17, 2016, 6:37:34 PM11/17/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Is it the Maksutov style scope? I worked on a lot of them that had
mechanical issues when a bunch were donated to the Louisville
Astronomical Society. I can't remember any solvable electronic issues
that weren't just a loose connection, usually I'd end up canabalizing
several to make a good one. But, if you can't get the electronics
working, they're still good scopes, so you can remove it from the
electronic mount and put it on a different one. As a "goto" scope, they
don't perform great, which was common for scopes at the time. Today's
scopes do build up a model of the errors in the mount to perform better.
But they're good optically once you find what you're looking for.

I won't be able to make it to the space at that time, but if you post
here I'll answer any questions I can.

Rachel Peterson

Nov 18, 2016, 8:44:26 AM11/18/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the info. I suspected I could still use it without the electronic base.

Internet says this is the style: 114GT is a "Bird Jones" design with a spherical mirror.

Rachel Peterson
(404) 433-9700

David Ortiz-Grob

Nov 18, 2016, 4:59:22 PM11/18/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com
I've firmed up my schedule and I will def. be there tomorrow at 5:30-6

David Ortiz-Grob

Nov 19, 2016, 5:24:48 PM11/19/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com
There's probably somebody there already but if not I will be there at 6:30 I got caught up in a caving trip