Electric motorcycle build complete- charging at space, workshop?

Ned Funnell

Apr 11, 2016, 11:36:06 PM4/11/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Hello all,
I have been over to the space a few times but I'm not a regular. I just finished my electric motorcycle project, and I am hoping to take it on a trip to southern IN next week, out past Corydon. I only get about 40 miles on a charge, though, so I will need to charge up somewhere in Louisville. Would anyone happen to be at the space around 8:30-9:00AM this Friday to allow me to plug in and charge? I was advised that there is an outlet on the building exterior. Does anyone know if that's a 15A circuit or 20A?

Also, someone at LVL1 (I forgot who, sorry) told me when I was starting that I should do a presentation/Q&A/workshop when I was done. Well, I'm done now, so I'm checking to see if there's any interest in such an event. Anybody?

Charles Sperbeck

Apr 12, 2016, 12:23:35 AM4/12/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Ned,

Here's a couple questions. What kind of bike? What is the battery type and number of them? What kw power motor do you have? Are you running through the transmission or direct drive?

Charlie Sperbeck

Tim VanSant

Apr 12, 2016, 2:25:40 PM4/12/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
I'd love to see the finished bike.

Michael Hammons

Apr 12, 2016, 2:41:00 PM4/12/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
I'd love to see it and talk to you about it as well. Will you be at lvl1 tonight for the Tuesday meeting?

Ned Funnell

Apr 12, 2016, 3:20:48 PM4/12/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
It's a kit bike that was someone else's project that I picked up semi-functional and redid with new batteries and a few other fixes/upgrades. It's called a Native GPR-S. It has a lithium battery pack composed of 22 cells (~90v full charge) which nominally hold 60Ah, for 5000Wh. They came from a salvaged Nissan Leaf that a guy in Florida bought the battery out of and split up for his and others' projects. The motor is a Motenergy ME0709 and is good for 125A continuous, which makes 11kW at my voltage. It's a direct chain drive to the rear wheel, no transmission or clutch.

Ned Funnell

Apr 12, 2016, 3:21:31 PM4/12/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Thanks. I'll update this thread if an event is scheduled. I won't be there tonight, I don't normally attend meetings at the space because I live out in Shelbyville and don't have projects that are easily transported there.

Brian Wagner

Apr 13, 2016, 6:53:27 AM4/13/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's MakerSpace
This is really cool.  Please consider showing off your electric motorcycle at the makerfaire in Detroit.  Great fun!  LVL1 is going to have a booth.