Commodore 64 still chugging along!

David Ortiz-Grob

Sep 29, 2016, 4:26:43 PM9/29/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com

This Old-Ass Commodore 64 Is Still Being Used to Run an Auto Shop in Poland

Hell yeah.

We need to learn a lesson about needless consumerism from this auto repair shop in Gdansk, Poland. Because it still uses a Commodore 64 to run its operations. Yes, the same Commodore 64 released 34 years ago that clocked in at 1 MHz and had 64 kilobytes of RAM. It came out in 1982, was discontinued in 1994, but it’s still used to run a freaking company in 2016. That’s awesome.

To be sure, small businesses around the world often use technology that’s a bit more outdated than what the rest of us use in our daily lives but damn, flexing a Commodore 64 for work in a time when babies are given smartphones before pacifiers is pretty damn bad ass.

Here’s what Commodore USA’s Facebook page wrote regarding the computer:

This C64C used by a small auto repair shop for balancing driveshafts has been working non-stop for over 25 years! And despite surviving a flood it is still going...

I know where I’m going if my car ever breaks down in Poland.

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/this-old-ass-commodore-64-is-still-being-used-to-run-an-1787196319

crei...@sdf.lonestar.org

Sep 30, 2016, 12:59:05 AM9/30/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com
I have a problem. I have an old android phone (Droid Incredible 2) with a
bad display. It works, as I can get to it via USB debugging, and have
transferred *most* of my important data. However, I have a Bitcoin client
on the old phone (Mycelium) that I can't get to. If anyone has any
special tools, such as a universal display, that would let me get to the
app and transfer my balance to my new phone, I am certainly willing to pay
for the time involved. Otherwise, any advice that could be offered would
be appreciated.

Creighton

Britt Dodd

Sep 30, 2016, 7:29:57 AM9/30/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com

I believe that the Android emulator will provide a display for your phone. I also seem to recall a chrome plugin for being able to "present" your phone on a computer via adb too....

Matt B.

Oct 1, 2016, 4:18:06 PM10/1/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Last time I had to do such a thing I ended up using this or something very similar:

crei...@sdf.lonestar.org

Oct 3, 2016, 10:16:22 PM10/3/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Outstanding! Thank you! Now all I have to do is get it to work on my iMac.

Creighton
>>> email to lvl1+uns...@googlegroups.com.
>>>
>> --

Matt B.

Oct 6, 2016, 2:17:24 PM10/6/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com

If you have no luck and are available Monday I'll be in town and can come by the space.