preparing a file for the big laser

John Howard

Dec 4, 2017, 12:42:09 PM12/4/17
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
I seem to always have to fight with file formats when preparing a file for lasering. Last night I tried to get a file ready that I made in inkscape. I saved it as both plt and dxf but kept either getting out of range errors or a blank screen. I even tried to go to the big computer to try to save in autocad as the 2004 dxf however the licence seemed to be expired.

Does anyone have a set process that is reliable for preparing files for lasering? Or does anyone have a list of common gotchas and how to solve them? I think both would be good things to have available on the rabbit's wiki page.

Thanks

David Ortiz-Grob

Dec 4, 2017, 1:54:05 PM12/4/17
to lv...@googlegroups.com
if you download draftsight (Solidworks' free autocad knock off) you can save it as the right kind of DXF easily

Brian Wagner

Dec 4, 2017, 1:55:18 PM12/4/17
to LVL1 - Louisville's MakerSpace
+1 for a good answer

David Ortiz-Grob

Dec 4, 2017, 1:58:39 PM12/4/17
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Also, then you have a great technical drawing tool

Joseph

Dec 4, 2017, 8:48:55 PM12/4/17
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
I have no idea if this is really a thing, but saving out to dxf or plt directly from Inkscape has always given me trouble (I create files in Illustrator). So someone (Jared, I think) told me to save to .hpgl, then go back and change the file extension to .plt before you import to the laser software. I'm not sure if that's science or superstition, but it works every time whether I'm starting with an .svg or even an .ai file. Your results may vary, but worth a try.

John Howard

Dec 4, 2017, 9:46:06 PM12/4/17
to lv...@googlegroups.com
I'll certainly have to try the .hpgl renamed to .plt

I did download draftsight. Then took the dxf I saved from Inkscape, opened it with draftsight then saved it as the 2004 and 2002 dxf formats in both ascii and bin. Next chance I get I'll head back to the space and see if I can load any of them to the laser.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Nathan Armentrout

Dec 5, 2017, 8:12:59 AM12/5/17
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
My process is:

1. Make thing in Inkscape
2. Select all, Path -> Object to Path (Ctrl + Shift + C)
3. Save as SVG
4. Go to cloudconvert.com/svg-to-dxf and convert SVG to DXF (because Inkscape's DXF convert doesn't work well with the laser).
5. Import DXF from cloudconvert using the laser program
6. Ctrl + G to resize (multiply everything by 25.4)
7. Laser settings, laser, etc.
Thanks for the suggestions.

David Ortiz-Grob

Dec 5, 2017, 9:11:40 AM12/5/17
to lv...@googlegroups.com
use the oldest ascii format (2000-?)  in draftsight and it works perfectly for me. Others probably also work, this is just the first one i tried and it was fine

Joseph

Dec 5, 2017, 7:03:13 PM12/5/17
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Also, the step Nathan mentioned about converting objects to paths has solved the problem of some lines not showing up once it's imported into the laser software.