Looking to borrow a chain hoist to remove the large riser from bridgeport milling machine

David Ortiz-Grob

Oct 24, 2016, 2:46:10 PM10/24/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com
I have spoken with Bill Piepmeyer, the owner of the large mill in the metal shop and have secured permission to take the 8" spacer out from beneath the head of the bridgeport. This will accomplish several things. It will allow smaller projects to be attempted on the mill with more accuracy since the quill will not need to be fully extended to get close to the table and it will make the mill vastly more accessible to makers. Even I, a fairly tall person, struggle to get tools in an out of the quill and changing speeds on the belts is impossible without a chair. Taking it off the pallet would also make it more useable and a lot more stable.

Assuming we can find a chain hoist, who's in?

Ben Hibben

Oct 24, 2016, 3:42:28 PM10/24/16
to lvl1
I have located a hoist that can likely do this work.

I would strongly object to taking it off the pallet, though, as it will no longer be able to be moved as easily if necessary.

Blenster

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 2:46 PM, David Ortiz-Grob <david.or...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have spoken with Bill Piepmeyer, the owner of the large mill in the metal shop and have secured permission to take the 8" spacer out from beneath the head of the bridgeport. This will accomplish several things. It will allow smaller projects to be attempted on the mill with more accuracy since the quill will not need to be fully extended to get close to the table and it will make the mill vastly more accessible to makers. Even I, a fairly tall person, struggle to get tools in an out of the quill and changing speeds on the belts is impossible without a chair. Taking it off the pallet would also make it more useable and a lot more stable.

Assuming we can find a chain hoist, who's in?

David Ortiz-Grob

Oct 24, 2016, 3:59:29 PM10/24/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com
That was my first thought at well. Removing the pallet was suggested by Bill.

David Ortiz-Grob

Oct 24, 2016, 4:00:37 PM10/24/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com
I wonder if there is a wider/lower/more sturdy pallet we could put it on instead removing it entirely

Kevin Price

Oct 24, 2016, 4:27:12 PM10/24/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Is the pallet under the bridgeport a safety issue? I don't know much about pallet dynamics, but what happens if the pallet cracks or gives out in some way, no matter how unlikely?

Ben Hibben

Oct 24, 2016, 4:48:17 PM10/24/16
to lvl1
We can perhaps swap it for one of the other pallets; we have several solid ones that should allay any concerns folks have.

Blenster

Tim Miller

Oct 24, 2016, 5:38:41 PM10/24/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com

having it on a pallet makes it less safe to operate. taller than it should be and the controls are further out of reach.

Ben Hibben

Oct 24, 2016, 5:56:48 PM10/24/16
to lvl1
We could put another pallet in front of of the unit to stand on to ease that issue.

Blenster

Luslugger

Oct 24, 2016, 6:39:46 PM10/24/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
I use an engine hoist rather than a chain hoist.  Harbor freight has the hoist for less than 200.00.  T
he 2inch square bars are mine.  Be sure you have the bolts used with no spacer
Bob Setree

Tim Miller

Oct 24, 2016, 6:39:49 PM10/24/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com

now you have another shelf in an already crowded room

Ben Hibben

Oct 24, 2016, 6:51:48 PM10/24/16
to lvl1
It's a lot less crowded with the re-org that's been done; it's looking much better these days.

Blenster

Tim Miller

Oct 24, 2016, 6:57:02 PM10/24/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com

anything laying on the floor with the sole purpose of being a step is a trip hazard.  moving this piece of equipment is not really an option without an expenditure to rewire an outlet.

Kevin Price

Oct 24, 2016, 8:23:04 PM10/24/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Aren't mills like that usually bolted into the floor as well?

David Ortiz-Grob

Oct 25, 2016, 8:47:08 AM10/25/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com
They can be bolted to the floor for very heavy use but usually the shear weight (~2200lbs) is enough. I think a good solution would be to put/bolt the mill on some heavy steel skids that extend forward of the current base. The skids would be the minimum height for a pallet jack to get underneath it so that it can still be repositioned if need be and extending them forward would give the mill more stability in the most critical direction (towards the user) and not be at risk of crushing like a wooden pallet can be.

David Ortiz-Grob

Oct 25, 2016, 8:49:25 AM10/25/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Removing the riser will solve 90% of the accessibility issue since the table can be positioned much lower. We can put a step stool by the machine to help with tool changes etc. if the need arises.

Patrick Joyce

Oct 25, 2016, 9:43:01 AM10/25/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
The main reason for the pallet still being there is that step one for removing the pallet is lifting the mill. It's been sitting in the same place for over a year now with no real reason to move it, it's a bit unnecessary to require that capability now.