Into the Cloud! - Cloud (internet) Workshop 8/20/2016

Kevin Price

Jul 17, 2016, 9:06:46 AM7/17/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace

What: Into the Cloud!
Where: LVL1 Hackerspace
When: August 20th 1PM-6PM!
How Much: $30

Into the Cloud is a four to six hour workshop focusing on "The Cloud". The workshop will focus on setting up a wordpress instance in the cloud - with a custom domain name and basic email! A laptop is required, as well as purchasing the domain name and having an account with the cloud provider ahead of time. All skill levels are welcome - I will have scripts available to complete each step if you get stuck, or just want to learn a little more about the internet/cloud in general without getting bogged down in details.

Pre-requisites:

Domain purchased through godaddy. ($3)

Validated Delimeter.com account, with cloud resources provisioned. ($6/month)

If you hit a snag please contact me through eventbrite for help. I will be available before the workshop to assist with the pre-requisites.

Workshop Topics/Steps:

  1. What is the cloud?
  2. Provisioning cloud resources
  3. Configuring DNS through go-daddy
  4. Configuring cloud providers' firewall
  5. Deploying image (debian 7)
  6. Configuring SSH
  7. Logging in through Putty, Copying files securely
  8. Installing LAMP
  9. Installing Wordpress
  10. Configuring Exim to send/receive mail
  11. Opening support ticket for reverse DNS
  12. SSL Certificate (through let's encrypt)

Tickets:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/into-the-cloud-tickets-26626577811

If time allows, a bonus segment on configuring spam assassin, or routing email to gmail can be covered as well.

Upon completing the workshop. Participants will have a fully configured wordpress blog. They will also have acquired the knowledge to allow them to use and configure other cloud services.

bruce

Jul 17, 2016, 11:10:25 AM7/17/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Hey Kevin.

Great that you're setting up all of this!

I take it that you're not going to touch Centos/selinux

Are you going to hit firewalls/security/user/applicaton ACLs for security?

Are you going to hit/cover log file analysis?
  -rkhunter/chkrootkit/etc..

sys/app monitoring for security?

cloudflare for ddos handling/etc..

what about digitalocean?

Are these skills you have, and just not covered (too advanced for the target group)?

If you're interested, I'm looking for a mentor/paid for a chunk of time to get into some of these areas..

Thanks

-bruce

Greg Miller

Jul 21, 2016, 12:12:43 AM7/21/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com
I'm curious as to what your end goal is with this. I've seen you
mention this a few times, and each of the areas your interested in could
encompass a full life long career in and of itself, and you still
wouldn't learn everything. Or, you could get by with a Google search
about a specific task and be done with it in 10 minutes. If you're
attempting to accomplish some specific task, you'd be better off asking
for more specific advice. If you're goal is to add these skills to your
career profile, then the most important thing is to be able to teach
yourself these things. You could pay someone to teach you these things
today, but next year/week/tomorrow the tools and concepts will have
changed you'll need to relearn them.

bruce

Jul 21, 2016, 7:51:15 AM7/21/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Hey Greg.

Thanks for the reply. TLDR, The short overviw, I have a project, it needs (in my opinion) certain tech stuff. I'm looking for someone I can talk these things over with.

While it's easy to find todo articles, that's not the issue, The primary issue is knowing what you don't know you don't know. Someone skilled in this area knows a great deal more, and can advance what I need greatly.

At other times in my past career, there have been resources I could turn to for these kinds of answers. I've even provided this/these kinds of skills to others. Hell, one of the best reasons to be in one of the top tier accelerators is the ability to access resources who can answer/help move the project forward by light years.

But am I looking to be a sysadmin, no.

But anyway, thanks for the reply!