Wood Shop Dust Collection

Paul Gossen

Nov 26, 2017, 12:41:10 PM11/26/17
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
The wood shop dust collection system is close to being operational. I will be out of town from Nov 27 through Dec 18, so this post gives some guidance to finish the system and get it working.

This weekend I connected the ceiling ducts to the cyclone, so now the duct==>cyclone==>blower==>filter airflow train works. All duct connections aren't screwed and sealed. I'll take care of that later. We don't need to wait for that to have a functional system.

Important unfinished connection is the collection drum under the cyclone. David Ortiz-Grob knows what's needed for the design, has manufactured a flange for the drum lid, and knows where the flex hose is stored. Would be great if one or two people could pitch in to put it all together.

I encourage wood shop users to hack away and connect their favorite tool to the system and get something working. I built a LVL1 wiki page with links and design guidance for connecting tools to the system.

Also see that wiki page for links to articles about static discharge from PVC pipe. Some of our electric-savvy members might be able to understand the Rod Cole article I've linked to there. He concludes that static discharge is not a fire hazard in small dust collection systems.

If there are questions, I'll monitor this thread periodically while I am out of town. My responses could take up to 2 days depending on where I am.

-- Paul.

Ben Hibben

Nov 26, 2017, 4:36:08 PM11/26/17
to lvl1
Great job!  I really appreciate all the hard work you have put into this project.

As a reminder: we have been told by a firefighter that he will not allow us to operate that without anti-static on the dust collection system; while the fire department loves us and will let us get away with a lot that was made abundantly clear to those of us at the space that this would not be one of them.  I don't think it's much work or expense to keep us on their good graces.  I would prefer not to find out how serious he was about having the wood shop shut down over this.

Whether or not we need one may be academic if we want to avoid an issue with the fire marshal.

As I understand it someone already has some bare copper wire set aside to wrap around the system in order to keep us compliant.

I'm happy to help volunteer with this project whenever folks are ready to do the final push.

Blenster

Paul Gossen

Nov 26, 2017, 5:59:58 PM11/26/17
to lv...@googlegroups.com
OK. Code compliance trumps science.

I've read (link in the wiki) that grounded 2" aluminum tape also effectively bleeds static from PVC pipe. There are 2 rolls of that in a box in the dust collector corner of the wood shop.

McCarthy, Patrick (GE Appliances, Non-GE)

Nov 27, 2017, 10:30:13 AM11/27/17
to lv...@googlegroups.com

Yeah, that is a very important thing.

Static spark plus airborne flammable material = explody bits

https://mailfoogae.appspot.com/t?sender=adGhlLmJsZW5zdGVyQGdtYWlsLmNvbQ%3D%3D&type=zerocontent&guid=ec694b51-e2fa-4c6a-a83d-70ea4e8769ca

On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 12:41 PM, Paul Gossen <pdgo...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Nov 27, 2017, 10:33:23 AM11/27/17
to lv...@googlegroups.com