Looking for space advice

Jeff Johnson

Sep 23, 2016, 5:10:34 PM9/23/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Hi, some of you may remember me when I was a member a few years ago.  I've moved to Chattanooga, and participated in a makerspace startup that well, just didn't do that well.

Now we're making another go at it with a business incubator that is giving us some competitive pricing on a great space in a very nice location.

I'm in the leadership role on this drive, and am trying to model it after my experience with LVL1.  (open to public, regular meetings, workshops, etc).

My concern is growing membership and being sustainable this time.  With rent close to $1500, even with some start up cash it will be critical to increase membership (while not being pushy) and grow to be self sustaining.

Our current plan (I have a core group of about 10 people) is:

  • Get some startup money (I have a good line on this).
  • Set up as a 501c3 (you can do it in 2 weeks now with an EZ tax form).
  • Get the space
  • Setup the space
  • Teach some workshops.
  • Network to other groups (scale modelers, programming clubs, etc) to allow them to use the space.
  • Participate more in the local MF.
  • Set up activities that drive project work etc., hackathons etc.

My question to you guys, is, what activities have you found to be the most popular.  I remeber Jose's movie nights were a cool way to get people there late.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
Jeff