Anybody have a rolling mill I can borrow?

Brian Wagner

Jun 9, 2017, 3:03:10 PM6/9/17
to LVL1 - Louisville's MakerSpace
I want to use one of these to squish pennies and hopefully put a LVL1 logo on the penny or other stuff.  I would like to use this for the upcoming makerfaires.

It looks like this and it is typically used for jewelry making...

If not what do folks think about this for a possible FAP?

Thanks
Brian
LVL1 Grand Nagus

Dan Mackison

Jun 9, 2017, 3:09:48 PM6/9/17
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Even if you had one, where would you get the dies to do logos?

bruce

Jun 9, 2017, 3:14:23 PM6/9/17
to lv...@googlegroups.com
long ago as a "stupid" kid.. used to squish coins under railroad cars
on the track..

guess that wouldn't do ehh??

my bad!

On Fri, Jun 9, 2017 at 3:03 PM, Brian Wagner <br...@tegrasys.com> wrote:

Brian Wagner

Jun 9, 2017, 3:30:45 PM6/9/17
to LVL1 - Louisville's MakerSpace
My thought for the die is to either dremil a piece of steel or use the firstbuild laser or mill to make a die.  That is the fun of making... figuring it out.  As for the train, I used to squish small links of chain.  Yea, stupid kid.

Brian Wagner

Jun 9, 2017, 3:32:18 PM6/9/17
to LVL1 - Louisville's MakerSpace
I also considered this https://www.harborfreight.com/gear-driven-ring-roller-36790.html but maybe I would have to remove one of the rollers so it went straight.

Dan Mackison

Jun 9, 2017, 3:34:46 PM6/9/17
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Would an arbor press be more versatile?

Brian Wagner

Jun 9, 2017, 3:40:33 PM6/9/17
to LVL1 - Louisville's MakerSpace
I have used an arbor press to stamp leather, I do not think it could be used to squish a penny.

David Ortiz-Grob

Jun 9, 2017, 3:41:24 PM6/9/17
to lv...@googlegroups.com
We have the 12 ton shop press. It might flatten a penny satisfactorily.We can try tonight.

Brian Wagner

Jun 9, 2017, 4:01:59 PM6/9/17
to LVL1 - Louisville's MakerSpace
Problem with the press is it does not give the elongated look that a traditional squished penny has.

Brian Wagner

Jun 9, 2017, 4:03:15 PM6/9/17
to LVL1 - Louisville's MakerSpace
BTW I have a large collection of squished pennies.  I have been collecting them since I was a wee lad.

Charles Sperbeck

Jun 9, 2017, 4:25:42 PM6/9/17
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Don't we have an English wheel capable of that pressure? Or thumbs/planishing hammer?

Charlie