3D printed joins

Andrea Sinclair

Jan 24, 2018, 9:35:21 AM1/24/18
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Hello all! I’m looking for help with 3D printing design.

I want to make interchangeable end caps for a tube (not exactly, but that should get the right picture in your head). I’m having a lot of trouble getting a connection that is strong enough to hold together during use but then comes apart again without failing. Anyone have experience designing reusable joins?

Currently using Tinkercad for design, Cura for slicing, and a Monoprice v2 for printing.

Thanks!

Andrea

David Ortiz-Grob

Jan 24, 2018, 3:42:07 PM1/24/18
to lv...@googlegroups.com
why not just bolt it together?

Andrea

Tim VanSant

Jan 25, 2018, 9:51:18 PM1/25/18
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
What kind of stress is the joint experiencing? (Is it being pushed, pulled, sheared, twisted?) How important is it that the pieces be changed quickly? Are the pieces easily accessible? (For example, if bolted on, how easy is it to reach with a screwdriver or wrench?) Approximately how big are the pieces and are there limits to how big they can be?

Matt B.

Jan 28, 2018, 12:23:56 PM1/28/18
to lv...@googlegroups.com
What material? Can you share what it is you're working on?