Parity H error rs 232 How to fix

Luslugger

Nov 21, 2016, 12:37:47 PM11/21/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
I am reconnecting a rs232 communication between xp pro and a Meldas CNC computer.  I use 4800 even  7 bit 2 top no handshake.  I set the same on the computer com 1 port. I can receive  from the cnc machine to the xp computer.  When I try to send from the xp to the machine computer, Meldas 86, I always get the Parity H error.   I need help as soon as I can get it.  If you are familiar with rs232 please call me Bob S 502-345-6617

Chris Hettinger

Nov 21, 2016, 12:49:18 PM11/21/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Bob,
At the risk of insulting your intelligence, make sure you are using the correct cable.  I can't recall the nuances but Rx needs to connect to TX and vice versa.

Chris

On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 12:37 PM, Luslugger <lusl...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am reconnecting a rs232 communication between xp pro and a Meldas CNC computer.  I use 4800 even  7 bit 2 top no handshake.  I set the same on the computer com 1 port. I can receive  from the cnc machine to the xp computer.  When I try to send from the xp to the machine computer, Meldas 86, I always get the Parity H error.   I need help as soon as I can get it.  If you are familiar with rs232 please call me Bob S 502-345-6617

Yours in Scouting,
Chris Hettinger
Cubmaster
Pack 4, St. Agnes

Kevin Price

Nov 21, 2016, 2:54:04 PM11/21/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Assuming the cable is correct as Chris suggested checking: Do you have a USB adapter you can try to rule out hardware failure from the xp machine if its a built in com port? I don't know how old it is, but rs-232 usually uses 13 and -13V for signaling so its possible there is a bad capacitor or other fault on the mainboard resulting in bad voltages. You could check it with an oscilloscope and see if what is being sent on the line matches what the XP computer thinks it is sending to rule out a driver or software error. Just send the same bytes over and over again.

2600

Nov 21, 2016, 4:44:07 PM11/21/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Two stop bits?

Not typical at 4800 baud.

Could be as simple as changing to one stop bit.

73

Luslugger

Nov 25, 2016, 1:28:41 PM11/25/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
The one bit did not work.  Are you available to come to my machine shop and tinker with my rs-232- problem?  I am at 502-452-9851.
'Bob Setree

Greg Miller

Nov 25, 2016, 4:20:28 PM11/25/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Those are odd settings for a serial port, but a quick search shows they're probably correct.  The usual configuration for a serial port is 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, no parity.  If you're using a USB to serial converter, it's possible the non-standard settings are confusing it.  Also, I had an issue with one of my telescopes using a USB to serial adapter where it was buffering the data, and I was only able to get it to work using a PC with a "real" built in serial port.  Another thing is that on Windows there's often two places to configure the serial port, in Device Manager, and in the software using the serial port, they all need to be set to the same settings.  Also make sure the cable isn't being routed near a motor or any other place where it could get magnetic interference.

The best way to debug the issue would be with an oscilloscope or a RS232 sniffer.

Robert Raymond

Nov 25, 2016, 6:45:54 PM11/25/16
to lvl1
That is lot to think about.  I will answer tomorrow.  Are you able to come to my shop?
Bob

Greg Miller

Nov 28, 2016, 5:53:01 PM11/28/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com
It's probably not going to be something someone can come by and fix in
30 minutes or an hour. You get the idea from my other message that
there's a lot of variables in play, the best you can do is try to
eliminate variables to home in on what the problem is. It really
requires knowledge of all of the systems involved and knowing what
they're supposed to be doing vs what they're actually doing.

Ben Eells

Nov 28, 2016, 6:01:15 PM11/28/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com

Maybe I missed it but was it ever stated if you're using a serial port connected directly to your motherboard or a USB to serial adapter?