RE: {LVL1} Re: Questions about the 3d Printer

Liam Boyle

May 12, 2016, 3:25:10 PM5/12/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Thanks,  I was actually thinking of picking up Nylon filament if the 3d printer can handle it.  https://www.matterhackers.com/store/3d-printer-filament/taulman-black-645-nylon-1.75mm

Does the printer take 1.75mm filament or 3mm filament?

LB

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy Note® 4, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

May 12, 2016, 3:41:26 PM5/12/16
to lvl1
I'd recommend against trying Nylon filament on the TAZ.

The extruder might not be able to handle the higher temps required, and it risks clogging or damaging the printer. Nylon can also be difficult to work, due to the higher temperature warping. Stick with PLA to start with.

Liam Boyle

May 12, 2016, 4:21:54 PM5/12/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com
No problemo,  Given I'm using this for knife scales, how well do y'all think the PLA will hold up?

Matt B.

May 12, 2016, 9:20:58 PM5/12/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com
While PLA might not be the best material for knife scales, there are plenty of people who have used it to 3d print them.  For example.  It'd be worth trying out since we only charge 10c/gram.

Liam Boyle

May 12, 2016, 10:40:50 PM5/12/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com
I may very well do that.  My project dimensions are 0.1875"x0.625"x4.095" and I would need two.

Gary Fischer

May 18, 2016, 8:43:50 AM5/18/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
If you haven't already printed your pieces (or maybe even if you have) you might want to consider the Proto-Pasta filaments Stainless steel and Magnetic Iron. I've used them both , and they can be sanded to a smooth finish after printing if desired. It depends on the look you are after of course. Web site here: https://www.proto-pasta.com/

Liam Boyle

May 18, 2016, 10:07:59 AM5/18/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com
I've been looking at those.  The steel and Carbon fiber sparked my interest.