Upcoming Workshops

Ben Hibben

Jun 28, 2016, 9:55:43 PM6/28/16
to lvl1
Fellow LVL1ers!

I am working with a friend to bring a blacksmithing workshop to the space.  We'll use a coal-fired hand-cranked forge and pound on hot glowing steel.  I'm still working out the scheduling and costs (we'll have to buy steel, coal, etc.) but what I'd like from you all is an indication of what you think folks might like to make.  I've made a couple of steel roses and they came out nice but that may be a bit more work than folks want to do.  Thoughts, suggestions, comments?

I'm also going to put together a series of workshops on the topic #adulting.  (If you aren't familiar take a look at that hashtag on FB or Twitter.  You will be entertained and horrified at the same time.)  Many millennials and others (including plenty of folks from my generation) don't really know how to do basic things like cook, do laundry, change a tire, etc.  I know that this isn't a need in our own community as much; we're Makers and so we generally know this stuff or figure it out ourselves, but this could be an excellent way to do outreach for LVL1 in the general community that will accomplish multiple things: help spread the Maker Movement, help people know we do more than just computery stuff here, help spread our community knowledge, help gather more experts (tax, for example) who come to do workshops, and maybe even start some mentoring services.

I am working with some folks to gather some experts, generate some classes, and even get us some advertising for it but I'd love some thoughts on this series as well.

Sadly the largest/easiest one to hit, how to cook for yourself at home, is going to be hardest for us.  Some things, like laundry, will have to be informational and not practical unless we partner with a local laundromat (perhaps they'll make their machines free for an hour while we teach folks for the advertising value?).  Suggestions, comments, thoughts?

Blenster

Tim VanSant

Jun 28, 2016, 11:44:53 PM6/28/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
I don't know how much appeal this will have for people, but the first forged project I made was a cold chisel. It has the advantages of requiring only some square or hex bar stock, relatively simple shaping, a little grinding, and heat treating. The only thing is, most of us never have need of a cold chisel for our work....

I've also seen screwdrivers as beginner's projects -- much more useful for most people, but you also need material for handles. Or I suppose we could make offset screwdrivers.

Amber Trantham

Sep 28, 2016, 4:37:12 PM9/28/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
I was hoping to talk to you this week and introduce myself.
I'd love to be involved in the #adulting series in what ways I can.
I'm up for putting together/leading a workshop, helping with promotonal stuff or helping put out chairs and set things up.
I'll try to introduce myself the next time I am in the space!

Ben Hibben

Sep 28, 2016, 10:14:23 PM9/28/16
to lvl1
Awesomsauce!