PVC Yes. Sand Yes. Stone Yes... but RICE?

McCarthy, Patrick (GE Appliances, Non-GE)

Apr 19, 2017, 3:11:48 PM4/19/17
to lv...@googlegroups.com

From a youtube blog I have begun to follow[ https://youtu.be/XbQjtEoK0Cs ], came this

“…If you are building something similar I would

recommend Black Organic Italian Rice for any 3D

printed drums as the black rice has more brilliance

in the high-mid frequencies than Jasmine or Basmati…”

Is this author pulling my leg or CAN you do 3D printing with Rice?

shawn james

Apr 19, 2017, 4:39:51 PM4/19/17
to lv...@googlegroups.com
id guess the rice goes inside of the drum.

McCarthy, Patrick (GE Appliances, Non-GE)

Apr 20, 2017, 10:25:25 AM4/20/17
to lv...@googlegroups.com

Oh. (Have not been able to view the video yet, so that may be “obvious” after I do so.)

I thought, from the description, that the actual drum was extruded from some kind of rice mixture,,,,

Patrick McCarthy

Office 502-452-4071

Mobile 502-939-1756

Dan Mackison

Apr 20, 2017, 5:15:47 PM4/20/17
to lv...@googlegroups.com
I didn't see any mention of rice in the video at all. Is it possible that the paragraph that you copied from the description got there by mistake?

Brian Wagner

Apr 20, 2017, 5:36:41 PM4/20/17
to LVL1 - Louisville's MakerSpace
You know we have that powder printer in the back that the powder is $300/kilo.  Anyone know of a formula that we could use to make our own powder for that printer?  http://www.3ders.org/articles/20140821-plan-b-is-an-open-source-diy-powder-based-3d-printer.html

Greg Miller

Apr 20, 2017, 5:44:49 PM4/20/17
to lv...@googlegroups.com
3:25 mark you see him add the rice and talk about it.

McCarthy, Patrick (GE Appliances, Non-GE)

Apr 20, 2017, 5:59:05 PM4/20/17
to lv...@googlegroups.com

Heh… so he did.

I thank you for that!!!

PS, To anyone in LVL1 who has NOT yet seen the genesis for this, take a look here

https://youtu.be/IvUU8joBb1Q

Your inner-Maker will love you for it J

Patrick McCarthy

Office 502-452-4071

Mobile 502-939-1756

Charles Sperbeck

Apr 20, 2017, 6:30:50 PM4/20/17
to lv...@googlegroups.com
The Wintergatan machines have made me want to build something like that. I have had a never ending love for music boxes. I used to ask to go to the mall every time my family went to Plattsburgh, NY to watch this machine... https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=%23&ved=0ahUKEwid6I25irTTAhXo44MKHYQDC_gQwqsBCCEwAQ&usg=AFQjCNF1sHlk2z9QIx28jtvfnGP_UlkifA&sig2=eTFmekvIuhgp42rwn6HbIQ .

Charlie Sperbeck

ginnyjollykidd .

Apr 21, 2017, 3:46:33 AM4/21/17
to lv...@googlegroups.com
{Imagining extruding exotic daifuku and mochi, and other fun Japanese treats}

Since everything is being 3-D printed -—even heart cells on plastic matrices for "bandages" to replace dead heart tissue to make that part work again —I would not be surprised.

After finding out there is a company that can pulverized all kinds of materials to nano-size and then retrieve  pure raw materials from them by density in water, that's a step away from 3-D printing from recycled raw materials.

Mix all that with teleportation and entanglement, we'd have our first  Star Trek replicator, and parallel to that, our first matter transporter.

Yeah, just wishing. ☺️
Yours truly,
Ginny