Woodshop classes

Terry Lee

Nov 5, 2016, 2:58:34 PM11/5/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Hello all - I wanted to gauge interest in wood shop classes on cutting boards, picture frames or birdhouses. Below are details..

Want a new cutting board? Want to gift a cutting board? Have pictures but no frame that fits? Have you ever wanted to be a home designer, for birds? Let’s make it happen!

Below is a list of projects that you can choose from:

Cutting boards
 This class will take you through the process of straightening and squaring wood for jointing into a cutting board. (Size limit 16”X10”) Tools used: Table Saw, Planer, sanders, bar clamps and traditional hand plane.

Splined Picture Frames
 This class will help you design a frame to fit a picture of your choice! Frame corners will be joined with splines. (Size limit 24”X24”) Tools used: Table Saw, Miter saw, corner clamps and traditional hand plane.

Birdhouses
 This class will help you create a snuggly home for your bird friends this winter! Tools used: Table saw, Band saw, scroll saw, clamps and sanders. Materials and safety equipment will be provided.

If you have materials that you would like to use, send me an email and tell me what you have!

Fee per class: Cutting Board $35 – splined picture frames $20 – Bird house $18

Note: The cutting board will likely take more than one day to finish as the glue sets up. Just come back next class session to finish up!

 If there is a project you would like to workshop, let me know! Tailoring a workshop to fit your project is definitely possible if time permits.

Classes could begin this Monday the 14th at 6:30 if people are interested.

Comments welcome!

Thanks!

John Howard

Nov 5, 2016, 4:22:54 PM11/5/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com

Yes to all of those, I've done some basic things, started amassing tools, and watched a lot of videos. It's time for me to start getting a lot more hands on.

In addition to these 3 things I would also like some box making. A few different classes one for box, dovetail, and splined miter (is that the right term?)

Are you thinking weekly for classes, or first Monday of the month?

Terry Lee

Nov 5, 2016, 5:40:43 PM11/5/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Hey John - Box making is something I can definitely help you get started with along with the other three methods you've mentioned above. Classes for now will be Monday at 6:30 and may also extend to Tuesday evening as well.

John Howard

Nov 5, 2016, 6:04:05 PM11/5/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com

Sounds good to me, Tuesdays will be hard though. The boys go to scouts most Tuesdays which I why I don't make the regular meetings.

If you get enough interest and will definitely be there Monday, then so will I.

Daniel Johnsen

Nov 6, 2016, 9:01:04 AM11/6/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Love it!

Let me know how we can help support driving attendance by putting it on Meetup, Facebook and the other avenues.

Daniel

Terry Lee

Nov 6, 2016, 9:43:50 AM11/6/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Hey Daniel - If we could get it up on both Meetup and Facebook that'd be great! Will you be at the space tomorrow?

DaveCampbell

Nov 6, 2016, 9:21:31 PM11/6/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
> Let me know how we can help support driving attendance by putting it on Meetup, Facebook and the other avenues.

i might suggest that consideration be given to not nailing down TUESDAY as the sacrosanct DAY-OF-LVL1-OPEN-MEETING.

i have another regular Tuesday Evening commitment which prevents me from making any Open Meeting, despite my desire to do so.

indeed, my choice to make a regular basketball game always trump my attendance at the LVL Open Meeting, is my choice alone,

so, hearing that someone else has another Tuesday Priority, i wonder if a rotating LVL1-Open-Meeting-Night-Of-The-Week is open for discussion.

i've suggested this to the other 5 groups i'd LOVE to get more involved with - and i think the ideal regular meeting schedule is one that rotates through the weekday evenings, in some reasonable rhythm, that would allow people to attend at least 50% of the meetings as they hit on open weeknights in EVERYONE'S schedule.

why should LVL1 own tuesday evenings?  it seems non-optimal.

Divinity Rose

Nov 6, 2016, 9:33:18 PM11/6/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com

Woodshop ... Nailing down....wokka wokka wokka

Christopher Cprek

Nov 7, 2016, 11:12:11 AM11/7/16
to lvl1
I sympathize, Dave. There's always going to be non-optimal days for some folks.

The hackerspace "Tuesday pattern" was adopted by LVL1 when we first started meeting in 2009. Tuesday meetings at 8pm are actually encoded in LVL1's Bylaws since 2010. http://wiki.lvl1.org/Bylaws#Meetings

I'd almost venture to argue that LVL1 does, in fact, own Tuesday. ;-) ...By virtue of having uninterrupted Tuesday meetings longer than any other group in Louisville. The only tech group I can think of that has been meeting longer is KYOSS, with their monthly Wednesday meetings. I've seen many other Louisville tech groups and events schedule their vents on Tuesdays in the 7 years since LVL1 start doing so. I have no idea why so many overlapping interest meetings happen on Tuesday nowadays.

ginnyjollykidd .

Nov 7, 2016, 3:13:29 PM11/7/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com

I also have a Tuesday commitment that interferes with any other meeting. I'm not a member — and I am extremely grateful to members who are available throughout the week — but if you have other days of the week for definite open times, it would help me, as my schedule is severely limited by the bus schedules.

Yours,
Ginny

p.s. One of these days I'd like to put membership to LVL1 in my budget. ☺

Brian Wagner

Nov 7, 2016, 3:14:59 PM11/7/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's MakerSpace

Brian Wagner

Nov 7, 2016, 3:16:18 PM11/7/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's MakerSpace
Inline image 1

That is where Tuesday meetings comes from.

ginnyjollykidd .

Nov 7, 2016, 3:26:51 PM11/7/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com

And that may be why every other hacker group has it, if they all use this model.

Yours,
Ginny

Dave Campbell

Nov 7, 2016, 4:42:45 PM11/7/16
to lvl1
that is horribly non-optimal, for the sake of ease, convenience, or a 'pattern-trumps-all' mentality.  (please no trump jokes - wokka, whatever).

a more optimal solution would acknowledge the common 'suckiness' and rotate the day-of-week, in some manner, so that everyone could participate at the same level, over the year, given that everyone has some nights free.

it might sound ridiculous (or even 'difficult') - but i stand by my position that it just kind of sucks that (one of) my 'sucky' weekdays happens to be tuesday.

sorry to make a mountain out of a molehill - it's always been a pet peeve of mine.

i do appreciate groups like the Predictive Analytics Meetup which does rotate their monthly meeting across the the weekdays.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace" group.

Dave Campbell | davecc...@gmail.com

Daniel Johnsen

Nov 7, 2016, 7:30:49 PM11/7/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Dave -- what do you want to accomplish on Tuesdays via the regular meeting? Maybe if we knew the goal we can see how to accommodate.

I know each week there are lots of scheduled and impromptu open hours for nonmembers to use the space.

We try to at least document in the meeting minutes the projects showcased.

Is it a learning opportunity? Social? Updates on space tools? Upcoming classes? Desire to wipe down some tables and fire up the shop vac?

I think we can accommodate some way, just need to know what we are accommodating for and if we are duplicating another event.

Daniel

McCarthy, Patrick (GE Appliances, Non-GE)

Nov 8, 2016, 11:39:48 AM11/8/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com
So, Tuesday = LVL1 Meeting... I am hearing there is a desire to conduct a class on the same night...

Ummm... My 2 cents (as a once-and-future member)

This is the night with the highest probability of visitors (of the young & Inexperienced variety) which will require heightened vigilance by
People who are attempting to learn a new skill... Dividing attention
There has been a "Rule"/"Regulation"/"OK Guys, just go with us on this"...
While the LVL1 weekly meeting is being conducted, no running anything that generates noise
(Born in the Cup-Cake days, when that thing would drown out whoever was speaking)
Tues is the night for socializing with others
Tues makes for a REALLY short class... (After LVL1 meeting --> 9:30ish)

This is the reason(one of many) that meetings are *usually* held during the week, Classes are *usually* held on Weekends.....

[Your Mileage may vary... Not valid in all states... All rights reserved... All lefts too]

DaveCampbell

Nov 8, 2016, 6:07:35 PM11/8/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Dave -- what do you want to accomplish

simply attend a general meeting.  but not on Tuesday.

John Howard

Nov 8, 2016, 6:21:30 PM11/8/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com

The discussion about a Tuesdays being the lvl1 meeting day is a sidetrack from the OP post. The related bit for the OP is that a secondary meeting to the Monday woodworking meeting would be on Tuesday and the extent of the Tuesday portion of the meeting would be to pick up parts that needed to dry overnight.

At least that is my understanding of it

On Monday, November 7, 2016 at 7:30:49 PM UTC-5, Daniel Johnsen wrote:
Dave -- what do you want to accomplish on Tuesdays via the regular meeting? Maybe if we knew the goal we can see how to accommodate.

I know each week there are lots of scheduled and impromptu open hours for nonmembers to use the space.

We try to at least document in the meeting minutes the projects showcased.

Is it a learning opportunity? Social? Updates on space tools? Upcoming classes? Desire to wipe down some tables and fire up the shop vac?

I think we can accommodate some way, just need to know what we are accommodating for and if we are duplicating another event.

Daniel

ginnyjollykidd .

Nov 9, 2016, 8:52:42 AM11/9/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com

I am interested. A frame is more useful to me than a bird house, but if there will be classes about mitering boxes, that appeals to me, too.
Yours,
Ginny

On Nov 5, 2016 2:58 PM, "Terry Lee" <terryle...@gmail.com> wrote:

McCarthy, Patrick (GE Appliances, Non-GE)

Nov 9, 2016, 9:43:05 AM11/9/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com

Once upon a time, LONG, long ago…

My dad gave me a 4x4 sheet of plywood, a box of assorted screws, and access to his tools

His request: Make a Birdhouse.

This was after a pretty cool Fall/Winter of learning the use and care of all of his woodworking tools…

Kind of a Jr. “Masterwork”

Simple in concept, a good birdhouse has a lot of things to consider

·         Correct Size for the type of bird you are interested in

·         Correct sized hole for the above (They ARE picky)

·         Lots of angles to miter

·         Interior can be a simple “box”, or it can have pegs to support a nest. Again, depending on the bird

·         Need a way to open/clean out at the end of the season.

(If you do not, mites can become an issue)

Patrick McCarthy

Office 502-452-4071

Mobile 502-939-1756

McCarthy, Patrick (GE Appliances, Non-GE)

Nov 9, 2016, 3:04:47 PM11/9/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com

Hmmm… I seem to have cut off part of the reply…

Yes, I am interested. Primarily with a Bird House, but the Cutting Board is also of interest.

Are the costs/fees stated “Member” prices or “Common-Folk” prices?

I am interested. A frame is more useful to me than a bird house, but if there will be classes about mitering boxes, that appeals to me, too.
Yours,
Ginny

Joseph Dukes

Nov 9, 2016, 6:41:33 PM11/9/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
I'm interested in the wood shop classes. The first one I could make is Monday, November 21st. Let me know if it's being held and if I need to do anything besides show up.
Thanks,
Joe Dukes

Terry Lee

Nov 12, 2016, 4:47:09 PM11/12/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Hello all!!

Sorry I have not replied much to this post - It sort of got off topic and other people took on replying so I left it at that.

The first class will be this Monday the 14th! We will be making cutting boards from cherry, walnut, maple and black gum. There are two spots left in the class! The following  Monday will be picture frames which will take you through the same method as cutting boards only add miter cuts and splines!

Thank you all for your interests in these classes and I hope to see you there!

Stephen Settles

Nov 20, 2016, 10:01:39 AM11/20/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Hey Terry, are you still planning on the frame class tomorrow? Haven't seen any further info on it, definitely interested. Thanks.