New news on Google fiber

Michael Hammons

Aug 19, 2016, 3:14:15 PM8/19/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
So I just learn from a buddy that Google is going to be launching a wireless system here now. It will be ran like cellular service over running fiber optic lines, meaning they will be building cellular towers instead.

Dan Mackison

Aug 19, 2016, 3:21:51 PM8/19/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com
I do a fair amount of 3D printing at Lvl1 to convert prototype shapes
from something in my head to something I can hold in my hands and show
to people. One thing I have noticed is that my prints tend to fall apart
with repeated handling. The layers pull apart parallel to the surface of
printer bed. With enough handling the print devolves into a stack of
thin wafers. Am I doing something wrong or is this an issue with the medium?

Divinity Rose

Aug 19, 2016, 4:03:34 PM8/19/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com

I am not sure of the chemical makeup of mod podge, but I wonder if coating it with something like that would protect it. I know there are other solutions, that is just a question that came to my mind

On Aug 19, 2016 3:21 PM, "Dan Mackison" <dan.ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
I do a fair amount of 3D printing at Lvl1 to convert prototype shapes from something in my head to something I can hold in my hands and show to people. One thing I have noticed is that my prints tend to fall apart with repeated handling. The layers pull apart parallel to the surface of printer bed. With enough handling the print devolves into a stack of thin wafers. Am I doing something wrong or is this an issue with the medium?

Tim Miller

Aug 19, 2016, 4:23:25 PM8/19/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com

delamination is something that comes with the extruded method of printing.  with abs acetone vapor bath can mitigate the problem.  someone a few years ago did some tests showed the problem is not as big as imagined, cant remember the url.

On Aug 19, 2016 3:21 PM, "Dan Mackison" <dan.ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I do a fair amount of 3D printing at Lvl1 to convert prototype shapes from something in my head to something I can hold in my hands and show to people. One thing I have noticed is that my prints tend to fall apart with repeated handling. The layers pull apart parallel to the surface of printer bed. With enough handling the print devolves into a stack of thin wafers. Am I doing something wrong or is this an issue with the medium?

Divinity Rose

Aug 19, 2016, 4:25:19 PM8/19/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Would rubbing it down in slurry or acetone solve it?

Nothing but the best,

Divinity Rose, Experience Engineer
Engineering unique and engaging live, video and interactive technology experiences for education, marketing and entertainment.

Award Winning Author, Entertainer (humorist), Director, Producer
Available for Fun Speaking Engagements or Events for your Organization
Entertain. Enlighten. Empower.

Gary Fischer

Aug 19, 2016, 5:14:13 PM8/19/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Dan, in my experience, layers pulling apart are not normal and are a symptom of some print issue that needs addressing.

It could be as simple as increasing the hot end temperature so that the material stays hot enough to meld together from layer to layer. You could have the air conditioning blowing on the print bed cooling off the print too much. Under extrusion can also be a culprit, caused either by software misconfiguration or a blocked hot end.
Printing ABS without a HOT heated bed will cause it too. The list goes on and on.

There are many more types of filament available than just PLA and ABS these days too. You might try PETG and PET+. They print beautifully and have the durability of ABS without the curling and delamination issues that ABS is prone to.
I can meet you down there some time and assist if you would like.

Divinity Rose

Gary Fischer

Aug 19, 2016, 5:38:58 PM8/19/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
The infill percentage (density?)  would affect the objects' crush resistance, and overall robustness. It shouldn't have much if any effect on layer adhesion. If the layers are hot enough, and you lay them down on top of each other. They'll become one.
Message has been deleted

Pascalle Ballard

Aug 19, 2016, 6:11:29 PM8/19/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Am I the only one who doesn't get the correlation between Google fiber and 3d print troubleshooting? Forum glitch or brain fart?

Dan Mackison

Aug 19, 2016, 6:22:52 PM8/19/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Forum glitch. On my screen the two topics have totally different subject
lines.

Greg Miller

Aug 21, 2016, 11:55:18 AM8/21/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Infill does affect layer adhesion, you have a larger surface area for
each layer to bond to.

Gary Fischer

Aug 21, 2016, 5:12:57 PM8/21/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
This begs the question: Dan, how much infill percentage do you normally use when printing?