android/sms apps...

bruce

May 30, 2016, 12:01:26 PM5/30/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Hey..

Anyone at lvl1 ever play with android/mobile apps regarding sending/receiving sms messages.

Ie, a test where users can send messages to each other, with a msg server handling message flow between users.

Curious..

Thanks.. How's the memorial day going for everyone.

Matt B.

May 30, 2016, 12:34:04 PM5/30/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com

I've worked on some similar things before. What are you trying to test or build?

My memorial day has been very busy already, trying to get ready to move tomorrow.

bruce

May 30, 2016, 12:46:14 PM5/30/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Hey Matt.

Looking to test/create a process to allow users to be able to send/receive sms/text msgs

Basic functions:
-users sign up/join groups
-users can refer other users to join
-app will track "referral" users
-users can send/get msgs
-app tracks msgs in case user off line (ie, userA sends, but userB offline)
 so when userB is on, msgs are delivered

Kind of curious as to how the msg platform/server side works, as well as the client/mobile side..

I've looked into zulip, as well as a few others, but nothing major.

Thoughts/comments?

Michael Hammons

May 31, 2016, 9:32:57 AM5/31/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
You might need severs to run some of the apps functions, because what you also are describing sounds like Kik as well.

bruce

May 31, 2016, 12:54:55 PM5/31/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Michael...

What I envision, will have to have multiple clients, as well as the backend server.

There are a few open source platforms, some of which have the open source mobile codebase as well.

My curiosity was if anyone here has played with any of this, or played with mobile dev for the android/IOS platforms.

Thanks