Raspberry Pi needs a lobotomy... or not

McCarthy, Patrick (GE Appliances, Non-GE)

Nov 30, 2016, 10:42:16 AM11/30/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com

So, I am now the owner of a Raspberry Pi (Yea)

Connected to this:

And out thru the connector on the bottom to a 7” touchscreen.

Here’s the thing… The system boots up fine, you can see Linux and all… but an auto run application quickly pulls the doors shut…

I would like to take control of the Pi (Duh) but am not sure if Wiping the old code is a good idea (Not sure if Touchscreens require special drivers)

Any Ideas on how to take control of the server BEFORE the auto run code takes over?

Patrick McCarthy

Software Automation Engineer – Appliance Products

GE Appliances, a Haier company

T  +1.502.452.4071

M +1.502.939.1756

Follow us on

Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | LinkedIn

cid:image003.png@01D1C2EE.6BDBB1A0

Greg Miller

Nov 30, 2016, 11:14:54 AM11/30/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com

The ones that plug in to the headers on the board do require drivers, so just wiping it and installing a plain Pi OS won't bring it back the way it was.

It's been a while since I've had to set one up that way.  But usually the LCD vendor has a pre-built image you can install.  Or you can install the driver manually into one of the "normal" Pi OS builds.

You might want to try remoting into the Pi, or using the serial connection to fix what's there if you don't want to reinstall everything.

Britt Dodd

Nov 30, 2016, 11:59:42 AM11/30/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com
That particular display utilizes the DSI connector, which require (but are definitely included) in the standard Raspberry pi'ish builds.

Wiping the OS and reinstalling anything close to Raspian should work just fine, as Broadcom has provided some assistance in getting that display driver into the kernel itself. The normal GPIO-based screens most certainly require kernel modules to run, so those would have to be re-installed, but the DSI connector should be active with any standard Pi build.

Daniel Johnsen

Nov 30, 2016, 10:34:01 PM11/30/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
What application is auto running? Scratch (has an animal cartoon on bootup) or some windows like gui?

What image are you using? N00b? Rasbian?  Provide a link if possible?

What is the end go? Get to a linux terminal prompt?

Depending on what is running and if you can get to a terminal screen (possibly CTRL+X a few times) you can undo the auto login by undoing these:
http://www.opentechguides.com/how-to/article/raspberry-pi/5/raspberry-pi-auto-start.html

default passwords are usually listed on the image help screen or you set them up on first login. Sometimes it is user: pi password:raspberry

Tim VanSant

Dec 3, 2016, 11:42:39 AM12/3/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
You may be able to SSH into the Pi from another computer and shut down whatever is interfering or edit a config file so it doesn't start up again when you reboot.

You could also try taking out the SD card from the Pi and setting it aside. Format a new one (NOOBS is recommended if you've never done it before) and boot from that. That way, if you can't get everything set up you still have the old card to try again.

McCarthy, Patrick (GE Appliances, Non-GE)

Dec 5, 2016, 10:12:05 AM12/5/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com

You could also try taking out the SD card from the Pi and setting it aside. Format a new one (NOOBS is recommended if you've never done it before) and boot from that. That way, if you can't get everything set up you still have the old card to try again.

Done

And I am now the proud owner of a brand new Raspberry Pi with Touch Screen (Woo-Hoo)

Patrick McCarthy

Office 502-452-4071

Mobile 502-939-1756

Brian Wagner

Dec 5, 2016, 1:09:45 PM12/5/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's MakerSpace
I always thought the sd card on the rpi is the critical component and it seems to get corrupted too easily.  I think it is because we tend to unplug embedded computers rather than shutting them down correctly.  I wonder if there are any workarounds to make a more stable system.

Chris Hettinger

Dec 5, 2016, 1:28:03 PM12/5/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Brian,
I have seen power supplies for Car-puters that connect both to the constant 12 volt and accessory position on the ignition switch.  The power supply sends a signal to the PI to shutdown once the accessory supply has been disconnected.  For use in the house though, you would need to add a battery & charger circuitry to the PI.  I am building a OpenHAB setup that I probably will go to this trouble for.

Kevin Price

Dec 5, 2016, 2:15:13 PM12/5/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Minimizing the number of ongoing writes by disabling logging, or configuring /var/log to write to a small tmpfs can limit file system corruption. If you read the manpage for journald.conf, you can set up ring buffer logging. Most of the ways to mitigate actual SD card corruption involve clever partitioning and creative use of the fstab. Keeping a separate partition for /home on a nano sized usb flash drive, and mounting / read only until you need to update it can help minimize the number of writes over all.

It is possible to keep only /boot on the sdcard and mount the rest of the system over nfs, or from some other type of USB storage.