Raspberry Pi project

Jeff Johnson

Jun 27, 2016, 5:36:00 PM6/27/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
So, here's another project I'm thinking about never starting or finishing (sigh)....  but if I do, I could use some suggestions for components.

I've upgraded my nerd card by collecting funko pops, but just Star Wars.  I'm building a display case(s) in the bonus room that will be on either sides of a TV I have up there.

I'd like to make a setup that I can sit the pop on a platform (RFID reader?) where I'm thinking it would read a RFID sticker on the bottom of the figure, then pull the url from the scan and throw it to the HDMI output that would be on the TV.

Here's the device I was thinking about:  https://www.adafruit.com/products/923

Since I would need to connect to the internet and have 1080p HDMI output, I was going to use an old laptop I'm not using anymore.

Question:  There are good instructions on how to connect this reader to an r-pi or an arduino, but has anyone here had experience reading a PS2 device with a windows machine, or linux?

Thanks.
Jeff

Jeff Johnson

Jun 27, 2016, 5:38:11 PM6/27/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for the confusing title.  I was thinking r-pi before I changed mid theme to use a laptop.  I didn't think the r-pi would have the resolution for a big screen.

Jeff Johnson

Jun 27, 2016, 5:48:05 PM6/27/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com
uh, okay, apparently going into a laptop it will just key in 4 characters (like a keyboard), so I'd just have to write a program (VB, don't judge) to read those and lookup the card id from a list of url's I can program.

Looks simple enough for me to do.  We'll see.

Thanks.
Jeff

DaveCampbell

Jun 27, 2016, 6:52:21 PM6/27/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
I'm pretty sure you're wrong about the resolution capability from a raspberry pi. I just bought r-pi 3s to replace the onboard crappy browser in 8 huge Samsung monitors we use in our NOC.

The displays driven by the raspberry pis are super-crisp and awesome. The native browser is laughable.

Just using the browser that comes with raspbian - there may be even better configurations.

DE 'Tad' Heckaman III

Jun 27, 2016, 7:41:12 PM6/27/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com
The Pi can drive any HDMI TV... probably not 4k, but 1080p would be fine.

How about just putting a QR code sticker/tag on the back and having a webcam (or a real 2d capable barcode scanner) read the QR code off of it when you set it on the platform? QR codes can contain a full URL.  Or do these units already have RFID chips inside of them?

Tad Heckaman

Jeff Johnson

Jun 27, 2016, 9:44:06 PM6/27/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
David/Tad, thanks for that info on the resolution, my information must be on rev 1.

Tad, I thought about the QR code, but when I was looking at adafruit I liked that a card reader was integrated ready to use, with no need to make a camera holder, etc.  Thanks tho.