house was broken into

Michael Hammons

Mar 23, 2015, 8:34:29 AM3/23/15
to lv...@googlegroups.com
So I took a night to not be home and spend time with the girl I am engaged to only to come home next day to find my home was broke into. My custom built computer that I worked hard to trade computer services in trade for parts, my laptop for my business, Xbox 360 all games and 3 controllers, Wii all games and controllers and same with with a ps2. They even took the mattress part of my futon that was to be my bed when I move out. There was a ton more taken but it was all my ex's and I don't care what happens to her stuff.

Lockadoc

Mar 23, 2015, 12:21:04 PM3/23/15
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Bummer
Did they break the locks or broke the glass,
Locks I can help with , glass I can not.

Bill S
Sent from my iPhone

> On Mar 23, 2015, at 8:34 AM, Michael Hammons <gothicgeekp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> So I took a night to not be home and spend time with the girl I am engaged to only to come home next day to find my home was broke into. My custom built computer that I worked hard to trade computer services in trade for parts, my laptop for my business, Xbox 360 all games and 3 controllers, Wii all games and controllers and same with with a ps2. They even took the mattress part of my futon that was to be my bed when I move out. There was a ton more taken but it was all my ex's and I don't care what happens to her stuff.

Patrick McCarthy

Mar 23, 2015, 12:47:54 PM3/23/15
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Thinking about the "ex's stuff"...
thinking about it, was it all high value too, or might there have been things taken with ... sentimental value?

If the later is the case, you might want to pay the ex a visit, with a camera...

Divinity Rose

Mar 23, 2015, 12:59:17 PM3/23/15
to lv...@googlegroups.com
so sorry to hear that - anything anyone can do to help?

Nothing but the best,

Divinity Rose
Story Engineer, Director, Producer

Providing all your creative promotion, production, and entertainment needs.
Creative consulting, marketing, branding, social media, new media
Concept development and project management

Award-winning author, entertainer
http://www.divinityrose.com

Michael Hammons

Mar 23, 2015, 4:58:35 PM3/23/15
to lv...@googlegroups.com
The door frame gave way they wedged something in a less than half an inch gap and then push the frame out of the way even from the deadbolt

Michael Hammons

Mar 23, 2015, 5:02:19 PM3/23/15
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Two flat screen tv's, her jewelry, box a piggy bank with change in it, 2 costly vacuum cleaners & a stereo system

Doug Mangels

Mar 23, 2015, 6:18:19 PM3/23/15
to lv...@googlegroups.com
did you have any kind of insurance?

Lockadoc

Mar 23, 2015, 9:03:12 PM3/23/15
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Let me know if you need some help reinforcing it

Bill S
Sent from my iPhone

Craig Garner

Mar 23, 2015, 9:04:12 PM3/23/15
to lv...@googlegroups.com
I recommend sharks and lasers.

Lockadoc

Mar 23, 2015, 9:15:28 PM3/23/15
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately, harmful booby-traps are you illegal, but that does leave a whole lot of unharmful booby-traps that can be deployed.

But basically you have four jobs to do.
The first three are what you do the fourth one comes naturally if you do the first three
1, make them be seen
2, make the make noise
3, make them waste time
4, make them go to your
    neighbor

They already decided to do something in that area, nothing you do will make them go miles down the road, all you can make them do just go next-door, hopefully that person has done the same thing, which makes them go further down the street.

Bill S
Sent from my iPhone

Craig Garner

Mar 23, 2015, 9:20:02 PM3/23/15
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Motion sensors, door alarms, etc.  There is a ton of things you can do without having to subscribe to an alarm company.  Basically, you put things in place that makes X less of a target.

Michael Hammons

Mar 23, 2015, 10:53:22 PM3/23/15
to lv...@googlegroups.com

She's refusing to file an insurance claim because she doesn't want to allow me to get paid back for my stuff

Michael Hammons

Mar 23, 2015, 10:55:19 PM3/23/15
to lv...@googlegroups.com
They painted the motion sensor lights with white spray paint to make them look untouched

Craig Garner

Mar 23, 2015, 11:00:07 PM3/23/15
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Sue her

Michael Hammons

Mar 23, 2015, 11:22:06 PM3/23/15
to lv...@googlegroups.com
My lawyer is already looking into it, thing none of the lawyers know yet is attack the insurance company or her

Patrick McCarthy

Mar 24, 2015, 3:20:36 PM3/24/15
to lv...@googlegroups.com
2 photos on the door... one of a vacant or run down room , titled "My house" the other of an opulent interior, electronic devices, art, etc Titled "Next Door"
and a small sign below it that says: PS, I am an engineer, DEADLY booby traps in here....

Doug Mangels

Mar 24, 2015, 3:57:46 PM3/24/15
to lv...@googlegroups.com
opulence...next door neighbor haz it.

Patrick McCarthy

Mar 24, 2015, 4:02:48 PM3/24/15
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Next door neighbor has 4 opulences..I think he hides one in his freezer. Leave my stuff alone and go hit his house.

Michael Hammons

Mar 24, 2015, 4:37:07 PM3/24/15
to lv...@googlegroups.com
She didn't take my warning her own homeowners insurance company gave me the info I needed to file Homeowers Negligence which THEY DO NOT COVER and she will have to pay it out of pocket

Patrick McCarthy

Mar 26, 2015, 12:53:59 PM3/26/15
to lv...@googlegroups.com
On Monday, March 23, 2015 at 8:34:29 AM UTC-4, Michael Hammons wrote:
So I took a night to not be home and spend time with the girl I am engaged to only to come home next day to find my home was broke into. My custom built computer that I worked hard to trade computer services in trade for parts, my laptop for my business, Xbox 360 all games and 3 controllers, Wii all games and controllers and same with with a ps2. They even took the mattress part of my futon that was to be my bed when I move out. There was a ton more taken but it was all my ex's and I don't care what happens to her stuff.

Jeff Johnson

Apr 2, 2015, 7:21:04 AM4/2/15
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Michael, sorry to hear about the loss.  Most robberies are from people that have been in your house before.  I would have the police consider the ex.  who steals a futon mattress?

Bill has some really sensible advice that all should consider.  I've done what Bill has suggested on #3 with e a big screen TV mounted to a wall that has a lock, cable lock, and bent electrical staples that will take me about an hour to undo to remove it if I ever need to.  I've had friends say that any thief would just break it out of frustration, but given the alternative of a thief taking it, or destroying it, I'll go with the latter.

But I would add #5) During extended absences, put easily carried items (jewelry, tools) in places people wouldn't think to look (bottom of hamper for jewels, power tools in an old xmas tree box with dusty stuff on top of it).

With regard to motion sensors, put them up in hard to reach areas, and put them where they catch action side to side.  They are essentially heat differential sensors that look for side to side action.  In many cases you can walk right towards one slowly and not set it off.  And do NOT put them near heat/air registers.

All my advice comes from the experience of being robbed before.