Start Sewing! An Intro for Beginners - July 10th @ 1pm

Nathan Armentrout

Jul 1, 2016, 1:38:33 PM7/1/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace

This workshop will cover the basics of sewing, following a theoretical garment from start to finish. Get introduced to a sewing machine, how to read a pattern, what tools that can make construction easier, and fabrics to consider. With these basics down, you'll be ready to tackle whatever sewing project you can dream up. You don't need to bring anything but notetaking materials (optional, as presentation will be available afterwards) and an enthusiasm to get started!

Tim VanSant

Jul 1, 2016, 4:27:52 PM7/1/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
A "theoretical garment" sounds like the emperor's new clothes. ;-)

Nathan Armentrout

Jul 2, 2016, 10:29:48 AM7/2/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Lol, well, out of lack of sewing machines and fabric, a demonstration of how to use the machine and approach a project is all we can do :P

Also, major thanks and kudos to Pascalle for hosting and teaching this workshop!

Lockadoc

Jul 2, 2016, 10:53:57 AM7/2/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com
I have two portable machines and one built into a table that I could loan out for a class.

Bill S
Sent from my iPhone

John Howard

Jul 2, 2016, 11:26:28 AM7/2/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com

Maybe a future workshop that is byo machine.

Pascalle Ballard

Jul 2, 2016, 2:00:11 PM7/2/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Definitely a thought! If the response is good I would like to start a regular byo sewing night and consider planning a series of more in depth classes. That serger is lonely over there with just me!

Big thanks to Nathan for getting everything set up and walking me through the workshop process!

Message has been deleted

Mikel Hensley

Jul 2, 2016, 6:10:19 PM7/2/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Just learning to read patterns could be a class all by itself!

Patrick McCarthy

Jul 5, 2016, 10:34:05 AM7/5/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
On only a slightly related note:

I have a Bernini Sewing Machine. It's an awesome machine... Just 1 wee little problem.
It is totally non-functional
Plug it in - no lights, nothing.
The place I bought it went out of business shortly after I got it, and "Qualified" repair centers are charging an arm and a leg just to look at it...

I can muck about in there looking for blown fuses and such, but before I do so, was wondering if anyone had
any experience with the internals of a sewing machine? (A German one at that)

Pat

ginnyjollykidd .

Jul 5, 2016, 11:17:07 AM7/5/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com

Look up your sewing machine's  manual online if you don't have it. It can tell you if you can maintain it yourself. You can if it is an old one or a mechanical one.
I found a video on YouTube for exactly my machine model and make,  and it showed me exactly where to oil it and make it go. The person had a frozen Singer, and her work brought the machine back to life.

If yours is a manual rather than an electronic one, I think you will have the best luck reviving it. But find that maintenance book first.

Yours,
Ginny

ginnyjollykidd .

Jul 5, 2016, 11:19:22 AM7/5/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com

Nobody wants to repair them anymore. All they want to do is sell you another at an expensive price. I doubt they even know how to do it, IMO.

Ginny

On Jul 5, 2016 10:34 AM, "Patrick McCarthy" <patrick....@ge.com> wrote:

McCarthy, Patrick (GE, Appl & Light, consultant)

Jul 5, 2016, 11:30:34 AM7/5/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com

Heh… The Bernini line is all about the Electronics…

And all the Manuals are in German

_______________

Patrick McCarthy

Office 502-452-4071

Mobile 502-939-1756

Ben Hibben

Jul 5, 2016, 11:30:45 AM7/5/16
to lvl1
I'm happy to help you poke around in there and see what we can see.  I have repaired a sewing machine before but it was my 1956 Singer so not quite the same sort of machine (much simpler electronics).

Blenster

McCarthy, Patrick (GE, Appl & Light, consultant)

Jul 5, 2016, 11:39:25 AM7/5/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com

I will attempt to bring it tonight (no promises)

_______________

Patrick McCarthy

Office 502-452-4071

Mobile 502-939-1756

Jul 5, 2016, 11:39:33 AM7/5/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com

As a guide to what I mean…

_______________

Patrick McCarthy

Office 502-452-4071

Mobile 502-939-1756

Jul 5, 2016, 11:53:47 AM7/5/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com

:( Well, see if you can find an online video. Parts of the machine have to move. And if you find an online version of the manual, the translators online do a decent job, now. Manuals online are everywhere!

One thing I did was to replace the main belt and also the bobbin winder belt. They have to be there. And find out how the machine opens up. Where there are screws, there is a removable part.

If you take on this mission, you would be an angel to others stuck with a machine like yours, and you can produce a video saving all people of your kind! I think that would be a great "Knight In Shining Armor" project! Including a translation and interpretation of the manual.

Lockadoc

Jul 5, 2016, 10:07:45 PM7/5/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Pat try this app on the manual.
I have had good luck with it on translating lots of info from manuals.

image1.PNG

Bill S
Sent from my iPhone