Wood Shop Dust Collector Wrap Party this Friday, Jan 12, 7pm

Paul Gossen

Jan 7, 2018, 9:25:15 AM1/7/18
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
The last step before we can connect tools to our Wood Shop Dust Collector: screw and seal PVC duct joints and wrap ducts with conductors to bleed static.

So, I'm scheduling a "wrap party" for this Friday, Jan 12, 7pm to 9pm to get it done!

I'll bring aluminum tape, screws, ladders, drills and drivers, rags and vacuums, (got to clean dust off ducts to tape them), sealant and duct tape. Any and all are welcome. If it gets too crowded around the ducts, well then we'll just start building tool hoods and connecting tools!!

Schedule coincides with Friday night movie night, so you can put in a food order around 7:30 with that crew.

See you there.

Paul.

Tim VanSant

Jan 10, 2018, 3:27:57 PM1/10/18
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
I probably won't make it Friday. Will someone please make sure we get some photos with the space's camera?

Jared McNeil

Jan 12, 2018, 12:04:50 PM1/12/18
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
I'll be sure to take some pics with oculus.

-Jared (they/them)

Paul Gossen

Jan 14, 2018, 11:24:28 AM1/14/18
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Winter weather put a bit of a damper on our Dust Collector Wrap Party, but a few hardy souls did make it. Thanks to Dick, Jared, and Ben who braved the weather on Friday night, and to Terry who anchored the team Saturday to do more wrapping work.

Jared took pictures as promised with posted to our LVL1 Facebook

We verified the conductivity along the tape from one end of the duct to the other. So we learned that when you lap 2 pieces of 2" aluminum tape (one on top of the other with the adhesive separating the 2 aluminum layers) electricity conducts through the adhesive. We weren't so sure that would work when we started. One more cool "learn a thing" that Jared learned us (thanks, Jared).

Additional shout-out to Jeff McCord who has already built blast gates we will use to route air through ducts once tools are connected.

We didn't get 100% done with grounding and connecting the entire duct system. Plus there is lots of work to build tool hoods (see http://wiki.lvl1.org/Dust_Collection#Tool_Hoods for design ideas) and connect them to the ducting.

To move things along, I'll be at in the Wood Shop every Wednesday evening this week (Jan 17) through Feb 7, 7pm to 9pm. Any and all welcome to join me to keep this moving (my next open Friday evening is Feb 9, unfortunately).

If Wednesday's don't work and you want to tie your favorite machine to the dust collector, start at http://wiki.lvl1.org/Dust_Collection#Tool_Hoods  for some basic hood designs. If you have a more exotic idea and need help with sizing ducts and openings to maintain adequate airflow, contact me and I'll do the sizing calculations.

Hack on!

Paul.