Chemistry assistance for mural preservation

sara adrienne

Sep 6, 2017, 1:36:19 AM9/6/17
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
I'm working on a proposal for a huge mural, and high-quality anti-graffiti coatings are prohibitively expensive. However, I found a 1997 article from the Mural Conservancy of Los Angeles on how to make your own varnish affordably: http://www.muralconservancy.org/information/making-your-own-soluvar-type-varnish-murals.

I'm looking at making about 25 gallons of the stuff, which needs:
  • Xylene solvent
  • V.M.&P. Naptha solvent
  • Paraloid B-67 resin (powder)
  • Paraloid F-10 resin (liquid)
As well as:
  • Metal 5-gallon buckets
  • 1/2 inch drill motor with 5-gallon mixing bit
Any leads on local sources for the materials? I need to get prices together for the proposal to the Committee on Public Art later this month.

Also, would anyone be interested, when the time comes (many months from now), in helping mix this stuff? I always loved chem class, but chem lab terrified me.

Gary Fischer

Sep 6, 2017, 12:08:40 PM9/6/17
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Grainger web site shows the  Xylene and Naptha and they have a location in Louisville @ 1901 Plantside Drive.