Hubs, not switches :)

T Hall

May 12, 2016, 5:04:15 PM5/12/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Hello,

   So in the piles of goodies laying around, does LVL1 or anyone out there happen to have a hub, rather than a switch? Hubs are very useful for sniffing a network. For my work I am trying to WireShark some comms from a device, and a hub sure would be handy. :)
   I bet most of the hubs in the world have been pitched in favor of switches by now.

Thanks,

Thor

T Hall

May 12, 2016, 5:11:40 PM5/12/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
PS - After years of driving across the river and commuting an hour, we have finally moved to Louisville. Wahoo! Looking forward to more time at LVL1 :) I have some donations to make as well.

Matt B.

May 12, 2016, 9:21:37 PM5/12/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Worth checking out the boneyard, I've seen them come and go.

Brian Wagner

May 13, 2016, 7:09:33 AM5/13/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's MakerSpace
Depending on the switch, sometimes they are smart enough to be able to configure a port for sniffing.

T Hall

May 13, 2016, 1:32:26 PM5/13/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Yup. Found a TP-Link for $30 that has port mirroring. Plan on ordering that one today, but could use something I could get my hands on more quickly as well. :)

Aaron VerDow

May 13, 2016, 1:40:59 PM5/13/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Do you need to do the packet capture at LVL1 or at work?  If you can do it at LVL1 the HP switches we have there can do port mirroring.

Raj

May 13, 2016, 4:42:09 PM5/13/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com
You could install DD-WRT on one of the many devices in the boneyard and then set up an iptables rule to send all inbound and outbound traffic from the one specific IP address (the device you're trying to monitor) to also send the traffic to another IP address as well.  With wireshark listening on the destination IP you could imitate port monitoring with about an hour's worth of work.

James Copeland

May 13, 2016, 6:20:15 PM5/13/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace

If you are really in a bind and have no other alternatives you can borrow a Cisco switch of mine.

T Hall

May 15, 2016, 10:49:44 PM5/15/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Thanks, guys. Finally got ahold of a 10M hub. A bit slow, but I can make it work for the initial snooping. I will order the managed switch and in the future I can monitor traffic using it. :)