Anyone have a vintage PC?

mfu...@tomahaux.com

Apr 12, 2018, 3:38:00 PM4/12/18
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace

Hey guys,

I'm looking for an older computer to use for a quick video shoot. I've tried searching some local spots and craigslist but can't seem to find anything. Thought this might be a good place to look. The make/model isn't all the important just need something that works and looks retro. If anyone has one or knows where I can find one I would greatly appreciate it. The shoot would be super quick and you could be present the entire time(I could even shoot at your house if need be)

Thanks in advance!
-Matt

McCarthy, Patrick (GE Appliances, Non-GE)

Apr 12, 2018, 3:51:28 PM4/12/18
to lv...@googlegroups.com

I have an old Mac (From before the time of the many-colored Macs)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Patrick McCarthy

T  +1.502.452.4071

M +1.502.939.1756

David Ortiz-Grob

Apr 12, 2018, 4:33:34 PM4/12/18
to lv...@googlegroups.com
theres a pretty old mac on a shelf in the classroom

McCarthy, Patrick (GE Appliances, Non-GE)

Apr 12, 2018, 4:47:50 PM4/12/18
to lv...@googlegroups.com

AT LVL1 is better than AT Somewhere in Pat’s Basement

FWIW, The one I have looks something like this:

Image result for Mac Performa 5200

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Patrick McCarthy

T  +1.502.452.4071

M +1.502.939.1756

I'm looking for an older computer to use for a quick video shoot. I've tried searching some local spots and craigslist but can't seem to find anything. Thought this might be a good place to look. The make/model isn't all the important just need something that works and looks retro. If anyone has one or knows where I can find one I would greatly appreciate it. The shoot would be super quick and you could be present the entire time(I could even shoot at your house if need be)

Thanks in advance!

-Matt

David Ortiz-Grob

Apr 12, 2018, 4:52:04 PM4/12/18
to lv...@googlegroups.com
thats similar to the one at the space just without the googly eyes

Brian Wagner

Apr 13, 2018, 8:00:00 AM4/13/18
to LVL1 - Louisville's MakerSpace
I have a Sinclare z81 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZX81

On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 3:51 PM, David Ortiz-Grob <david.or...@gmail.com> wrote:
thats similar to the one at the space just without the googly eyes

McCarthy, Patrick (GE Appliances, Non-GE)

Apr 13, 2018, 9:57:42 AM4/13/18
to lv...@googlegroups.com

You Win!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Patrick McCarthy

T  +1.502.452.4071

M +1.502.939.1756

Apr 14, 2018, 3:41:02 PM4/14/18
to lvl1
I have an Osborne.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_1  Still worked last time I turned it on.

Most of my other vintage machines are either "on semi-permanent loan" to a vintage museum or given to a similar project.

Blenster

Britt Dodd

Apr 14, 2018, 6:53:43 PM4/14/18
to LVL1 - Louisville's MakerSpace
I have a TRS-80 model 1, Amiga 1200, Tandy 1000TX, a Macintosh Portable and a few other Powerbooks.

image001.jpg

Brian Wagner

Apr 15, 2018, 6:55:28 AM4/15/18
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Should we have a vintage computer meetup?  That might be fun

Britt Dodd

Apr 15, 2018, 8:48:06 AM4/15/18
to LVL1 - Louisville's MakerSpace
I'm in! I have a Macintosh Portable, TRS-80, Tandy 1000 with IBM CGA monitor, a hotrodded Amiga 1200 and a few Powerbooks

I'd love a vintage computer meetup

jason

Apr 15, 2018, 9:33:23 AM4/15/18
to lv...@googlegroups.com

Souldn't like fun.  I have a handful myself.  I used to have a veritable museum of non ibm or apple compatible computers and less popular consoles. sold most to a collector and fear most of the remaining are falling into disrepair.

DaveCampbell

Apr 15, 2018, 8:45:09 PM4/15/18
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
this sounds totally interesting.

granted, there are formal (and informal) museums that likely have more complete collections, but this local effort might afford those who have really classic computers to get it catalogued regionally, and for those of us who have not-quite-classic stuff to connect and learn about the truly classics.

i enjoyed reading all the sinclair history, and do feel that focused meetups or activities would be worthwhile.

we all stand on the shoulder of giants - let's take some time and energy to learn and share about those giants.

2600

Apr 15, 2018, 8:55:03 PM4/15/18
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
I suspect my IMSAI 8080 would get a raised eybrow or two. But it weighs a ton. Seems like every time I have moved it one of those plastic-lever "flip" switches gets bumped and falls off.

The Commodore PET 2001s with the chiclet keyboard are not exactly lightweight, for that matter. No telling when I'll devote the resources to restoring one of them. I wouldn't want to power up one of them with all those 40 year-old electrolytic capacitors in there.

Dave Campbell

Apr 15, 2018, 8:59:44 PM4/15/18
to lvl1
i used an IMSAI 8080 to do some pre-GPS mapping coordination while at speed school in 1984-ish timeframe.

that's a big box, for sure.

it might be interesting to try and get those systems operational - but only in an academic or historical context.

Dave Campbell | davecc...@gmail.com

Brian Wagner

Apr 16, 2018, 8:40:36 AM4/16/18
to LVL1 - Louisville's MakerSpace
So it seems like the original intent of the thread was derailed :-)  It does seem like people would like a vintage computer event.  What do folks think might be a good way to do that.  Perhaps a Saturday afternoon or evening coupled with a LVL1 open house.  Or is a weeknight better?  I think this could be really fun.  Thoughts?

BRian