IKEA grow room?

Derek

Jul 5, 2017, 4:00:41 PM7/5/17
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Hello,
I found out about LVL1 many moons ago but haven't had anything fun to build or try up until now.

Somehow I caught wind of the IKEA Grow Room which requires a CNC machine. Can anyone tell me the following?

What do I have to do to be able to use one of the CNC machines at LVL1? Is there anyone who'd be interested in helping with a project on one?

What kinds of tools are on the CNC machines at LVL1? The plywood in use would be 4'x8' and would need to be cut into several different shapes.

At any rate, newbie that I am, I'm not completely sure how all this works.

Brian Wagner

Jul 5, 2017, 5:52:45 PM7/5/17
to LVL1 - Louisville's MakerSpace
Why don't you come to a meeting Tuesdays at 8pm and/or better yet, apply for a makership to build it.  I and several others are trained to use the CNC so we can help you build it.  Do you have any pics?

Brian

Derek

Jul 5, 2017, 9:17:18 PM7/5/17
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Here's the link I came across.
https://codeload.github.com/space10-community/the-growroom/zip/master
I believe it has more than just a flimsy PDF to it, but I haven't pulled it up aside from doing so on my phone on my lunch hour.
I can definitely get out on a Tuesday sometime soon.

Brian Wagner

Jul 5, 2017, 9:38:09 PM7/5/17
to LVL1 - Louisville's MakerSpace
That is pretty darned cool.

Derek

Jul 6, 2017, 1:38:22 PM7/6/17
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
I had hoped they would have simply listed out dimensions since I've got the tools that would cut all this as needed, but it's all good.

David Ortiz-Grob

Jul 7, 2017, 9:43:42 AM7/7/17
to lv...@googlegroups.com
When I see "grow room" I think of much shadier horticulture tbh

On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 1:38 PM, Derek <jdnut...@gmail.com> wrote:
I had hoped they would have simply listed out dimensions since I've got the tools that would cut all this as needed, but it's all good.

McCarthy, Patrick (GE Appliances, Non-GE)

Jul 7, 2017, 10:14:25 AM7/7/17
to lv...@googlegroups.com

Ummm… OK, This LOOKS cool, but I have a couple comments

  1. You need to only use plants that will stay confined to the space they are given. (Most plants , faced with “open areas” will tend to try to fill that space) You can already see this becoming an issue in the “Glamor-Shot” in the Manual
  2. Lighting is an issue. I can’t figure out how to provide an even Grow lighting source. Given that it is a sphere, there will always be areas that are on “the dark side”. The Glamor-Shot is no help. The plants are leaning in contradictory directions (Probably positioned to look their best for the picture)

Even if you just went with “Natural Light”, the plants on the bottom will be at a disadvantage.

So, to address #2, I am thinking of an “improvement”…

Install a strip of LED Lights under each level. There are LED lights that are “tuned” to provide the correct color temp. for optimum growing. It might be OK to use tricolor LEDs, setting them to the right values(Google will be your friend here…)

In addition to making your plants happy, it would add a cool effect.

You could talk to Blendster… Perhaps the lights could be set up to either provide a grow lighting when not otherwise tasked.

Tasked? Yeah, to color cycle/pulse/shimmer/rotate/dance in time to music or such.

When I see "grow room" I think of much shadier horticulture tbh

On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 1:38 PM, Derek <jdnut...@gmail.com> wrote:

I had hoped they would have simply listed out dimensions since I've got the tools that would cut all this as needed, but it's all good.

Derek

Jul 8, 2017, 1:24:14 PM7/8/17
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
I anticipate not having an issue with light as much as I anticipate having an issue with soil. Root depth is going to have to be only a few inches, so anything other than leafy greens and herbs are out anyway.

I also have to figure out how to keep the wood from rotting out since it'll have to be untreated to get food out of it I'd be willing to eat.

That said, if I position it in the open with the doorway pointed north I suspect I'll have sufficient sunlight for all plants involved.

McCarthy, Patrick (GE Appliances, Non-GE)

Jul 10, 2017, 12:33:33 PM7/10/17
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Reminds me of an issue I had a long time ago...

Son was doing a science project with a plant called Mimosa Pideka(Badly spelled... latin)
Anyway, it reacts to touch and sun light. Planned a series of experiments... Needed to grow a bunch. Made several nice grow boxes, all with grow lights, nitrogen rich soil... the works
3 times we got germination, got seedlings ready, put them in the grow box... died within days

He switched to a different project (Ionic Lifter)
I finally realized that the wood I was using... was treated..... sigh