STEM focused Workshops for Uofl Students

52 vues

karen...@uoflsab.org

non lue,
19 sept. 2017, 00:35:4519/09/2017
à LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Hello All!

My name is Karen Udoh and I'm the Program Assistant for the LSAMP program at UofL. Essentially, the program focuses on fostering growth and mentoring minority students in STEM. We have a wide variety of events for the students and wanted to set up a workshop/tour at Louisville's Hackerspace. We are open to any type of workshop that can be provided to the students. The dates that we want to have the workshop is October 13th or November 17th anytime from 1-3pm. If any of these dates/times work for any one of you that has a potential workshop to show these students that'll be great! We are looking for a workshop that is somewhat interactive.

Thanks!

Ben Hibben

non lue,
19 sept. 2017, 01:52:1519/09/2017
à lvl1
Are the students all adults (18+?) -- our insurance has different requirements for minors than adults....

We have a few fun things they could work on depending on the availability of our volunteers.

I've been known to teach soldering or Arduino classes but may be able to figure something new out for them depending on time and budget constraints.

Blenster

karen...@uoflsab.org

non lue,
19 sept. 2017, 09:37:4119/09/2017
à LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Yes, the students are a mix of  freshmen-seniors in college. There is a possibility that a few freshmen are 17 but we would have waivers for them and such, majority are 18+.

Ben Hibben

non lue,
19 sept. 2017, 12:45:3119/09/2017
à lvl1
Everyone will have to sign on of our waivers, however children must have one signed by their parents and must be accompanied by a responsible adult/legal guardian.  I think 17 is old enough that we can get away with this, though, as opposed to 7-8 year olds, where more constant supervision is a more practical necessity.

Please understand we have a lot of power tools and we're a non-profit.  :-)

Will you be attending tonight's meeting at the space?

Blenster

Divinity Rose

non lue,
19 sept. 2017, 17:15:5819/09/2017
à lv...@googlegroups.com
It helps to know how many students will be at a workshop, how many supervisors you will provide or if you are asking us to offer a workshop, the age of the students and are you offering funds to the people offering the workshop?

To be in our space, anyone under 18 must have a parent signed waiver and be accompanied by a guardian over 18.

Divinity Rose
Award Winning Performer, Writer, Producer
Engineering unique and engaging live, video and interactive technology experiences for education, marketing and entertainment.

DaveCampbell

non lue,
19 sept. 2017, 21:27:1519/09/2017
à LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
wow, maybe LVL1 could submit a proposal for some type of formal program for the LSAMP - there seems to be a lot of funding available.

here is a list of the 121 awards, 81 over $1,000,000 and only one less than $100,000:

makerspaces represent and model most of the principles behind the seismic changes in how our world works over the past 20 years - i think an excellent program could be created at LVL1.

karen...@uoflsab.org

non lue,
20 sept. 2017, 10:17:5120/09/2017
à LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
I can try to come to the meeting to explain more if that will help? Is the meeting at 8pm?
Again we are just trying to find local spots that can help inspire students, especially engineers to continue pursuing their degree.

Divinity Rose

non lue,
20 sept. 2017, 10:21:0520/09/2017
à lv...@googlegroups.com
The meeting is every Tuesday at 8 pm. We don't have recurring ongoing workshops, so someone would have to set one up specifically for your students, so it is a matter of finding someone willing to do so as a volunteer if you are not offering payment.

karen...@uoflsab.org

non lue,
20 sept. 2017, 10:25:4320/09/2017
à LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
With our "field trips", we find opportunities where we don't have to necessarily tap into our budget since we have to use the money to give stipends to students and register them for research conferences. Some past examples of places we have done is a tour of the Water Tower near River rd, a tour of First Build on UofL's campus, and a lab stimulation at UofL's medical school. We try to pursue options where students will learn skills about a particular field. I thought this would be a cool place where around 10-15 students (depending on the interest of the workshop) could learn how to do something or see what it takes to make something etc.

Ben Hibben

non lue,
20 sept. 2017, 13:44:5720/09/2017
à lvl1
I can put together some sort of demonstration, offer a tour, etc.  If you already have soldering kits I can teach them to solder (I also make and sell my own kits, specifically designed for beginners, which start at $10 each but can be customized to include your logo/group information).  I can talk about how becoming active at a space like LVL1 can bring someone from "n00b" to "I can make anything!" through practical hands-on learning from the community of makers, tinkerers, nerds, artists, teachers, engineers, and more we have at LVL1.  I personally have learned quite a bit about programming, Arduino, electronics, and more from this fantastic community of giving people -- which is why I'm so enthusiastic about sharing the magic of LVL1 with as many people as possible.

Blenster

Divinity Rose

non lue,
20 sept. 2017, 18:15:1820/09/2017
à lv...@googlegroups.com
I understand. What I am saying is we don't have any employees so you will have to find someone willing to volunteer to do this when they usually charge per person for workshops, available  during the weekday and to take responsibility for the youth there, in addition to having your own chaperones.

Some may be willing to volunteer, some may be willing to do it for a donation to the space. Just giving you the clarification that everyone here is a volunteer (we get asked to do free stuff a lot)

karen...@uoflsab.org

non lue,
27 sept. 2017, 13:10:5027/09/2017
à LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Hello!

Sorry I have not gotten back sooner on this! My senior year of college has been a bit more hectic than I expected.  I think a tour of the facility and what the space has to offer would be a great event for the students. The students themselves don't necessarily have to take part in a "workshop" however if you yourself are currently working on a project that would be cool for them to the process you are doing to design it if that makes sense. I would like to work with you all as my friend Caleb  who was before an active member of this group really enjoyed his time  while he was in undergrad. I think getting students to learn more about what the space offers could potentially bring more of our engineer students to become a member of this group. Is there an email you have @Blenster for us to talk more on how to design this and what are the things I would need to provide? I'm willing to make sure both sides benefit from this opportunity. We wanted to have the event in October so I would like to start planning it with you and see what you have in mind. Hopefully next week I'll be able to stop by the meeting as well to talk more!

Thanks!

Michael Hammons

non lue,
27 sept. 2017, 17:39:0627/09/2017
à LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
To be honest a Tuesday open meeting is basically that. You come in sit in a brief meeting learn things going on and see stuff people are working on. They also give a tour of the space after the meeting to explain what's there.

Jeffrey Jewell

non lue,
4 janv. 2019, 14:04:5704/01/2019
à LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Blenster, I have seen many post from you concerning micro-soldering.  Would love an opportunity to learn more.  Can you reach out to me at jjewe...@gmail.com?

On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 1:44:57 PM UTC-4, Blenster wrote:
Répondre à tous
Répondre à l'auteur
Transférer
0 nouveau message