Debug tools for applications built with Luvit

Julien Gilli

Jan 1, 2013, 8:23:38 PM1/1/13
to lu...@googlegroups.com

Hi everyone,

I'm giving luvit a try after I spent a few months using Lua + Xavante as a server-side web development platform. However, one thing I miss is being able to use a debugger. With Lua and Xavante, I use mobdebug to be able to set breakpoints in coroutines, and ZeroBrane studio as my debugger's UI.

I'm trying to do the same with luvit, but it seems I can't require mobdebug when running luvit. Doing so makes luvit look for the "os" module, which is a dependency of mobdebug, and it seems luvit can't load it. How do modules work with luvit? I've read this issue: https://github.com/luvit/luvit/issues/379 which seems to indicate that there are a lot of differences between the way Lua and luvit handle modules. Is it possible to use a module like "os" with luvit? Also, more generally, what are the differences between luvit and a stock Lua interpreter?

If using mobdebug is not an option for now, may I ask you what debugger you use when working with luvit?

Thank you!

alfred

Feb 16, 2013, 8:12:48 PM2/16/13
to lu...@googlegroups.com
luvit zaps a lot of the Lua's (LuaJIT in this case) standard libraries out of global space.

You should look at https://github.com/creationix/moonslice-luv

Tim Caswell

Feb 18, 2013, 9:59:42 AM2/18/13
to lu...@googlegroups.com
That said, I may be willing to restore the default lua stuff back into the default global.  I think it caused more harm than good.