Need Advice Squid Cache Over SAN

khan

May 24, 2012, 8:13:47 PM5/24/12
to lusca...@googlegroups.com
 Dear All,

 We are planning to buy 32 TB storage  and connect them to 2 Servers with over Fiber or iSCSI , I personally have no experience over SAN or Cache Dir Over it.

That why I am looking for advice here.

1st is is possible to build Cache Dir over SAN ? If yes then any howto ?

2nd IF yes what will be the I/O performance difference b/w  LOCAL Hard drive cache and SAN Storage cache.

Adrian Chadd

May 24, 2012, 8:16:04 PM5/24/12
to lusca...@googlegroups.com
There's currently no way to share cache_dir contents between different
Squid/Lusca installs.

I can think of ways of doing it, but it's a few months of development
work on my side to try and make it happen.

adrian

Asif Khan

May 24, 2012, 8:22:06 PM5/24/12
to lusca...@googlegroups.com
Both Server will use separate Volume of 16 TB each.

My concern is about

1st is is possible to build Cache Dir over SAN ? If yes then any howto ?

2nd IF yes what will be the I/O performance difference b/w  LOCAL Hard drive cache and SAN Storage cache.

Adrian Chadd

May 24, 2012, 8:28:21 PM5/24/12
to lusca...@googlegroups.com
On 24 May 2012 17:22, Asif Khan <asifk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Both Server will use separate Volume of 16 TB each.
>
> My concern is about

That's fine. It's up to your SAN config - ie, configuring two 16TB partitions.

The trouble is making sure you have enough RAM. I just have never
tried a > 1TB squid or Lusca cache bfeore, sorry.

I have no idea how well it'll perform or scale at that size. No-one
ever hired me to tinker with Squid/Lusca at multi-TB sized caches and
people seem quite happy to buy hardware rather than invest in
development. :)

sorry,

adrian

Hugo Petrucci

May 25, 2012, 11:17:54 AM5/25/12
to lusca...@googlegroups.com

it seems thats works.  of course,  depends on your SAN config (how many disks and/or fiber cards. ) take care about memory/cache area relationship.  never ever use SSD disks.
As adrian says use diferent logical areas of SAN to each server and share the objects via digests.