Kernel Panic

Richard Reina

Dec 2, 2013, 10:25:49 AM12/2/13
to luni-chicago
Hello Everyone,

I have a machine that has been running Centos 6.2 for a couple of
years without any problems. Over the holiday it started stopped
working and displayed the attached sceen. The machine is not
connected to the internet. Can anyone tell me how I can fix this?

Thanks
la foto.JPG

Keith T. Garner

Dec 2, 2013, 10:38:22 AM12/2/13
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
In my experience, when a machine just suddenly starts to kernel panic like that, you probably have dying hardware.

Keith

--
Keith T. Garner kga...@kgarner.com
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to

Kristian Erik Hermansen

Dec 2, 2013, 10:31:34 AM12/2/13
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com

Looks like you need fsck

--
Kristian Erik Hermansen
https://www.linkedin.com/in/kristianhermansen

Sean Lynch

Dec 2, 2013, 10:55:42 AM12/2/13
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
Try using fsck to find errors. You can check the output of dmesg for io errors.

It might be best to output dmesg to a file and search through the file.

"dmesg > dmesg.out.text"

See if you have smart tools installed

"smartctl -a /dev/hda"

Also see if you have badblocks command

"badblocks -vn /dev/sda1"

Substitute correct device names for your setup.

Sean

On Dec 2, 2013, at 9:25 AM, Richard Reina <gator...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I have a machine that has been running Centos 6.2 for a couple of
years without any problems. Over the holiday it started stopped
working and displayed the attached sceen. The machine is not
connected to the internet. Can anyone tell me how I can fix this?

Thanks

<la foto.JPG>

Richard Reina

Dec 2, 2013, 11:33:47 AM12/2/13
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com, luni-c...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the replies. This is a three and a half year old HP machine. I was hoping that it would last longer. I will do a umount /dev/sda1 and then run fsck and badblocks -vn. I have also connected it to the internet and doing an update.

William Scott Lockwood III

Dec 2, 2013, 11:36:07 AM12/2/13
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
Top posting makes the baby Jeebus cry.

On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 10:33 AM, Richard Reina <gator...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the replies. This is a three and a half year old HP machine. I
> was hoping that it would last longer. I will do a umount /dev/sda1 and then
> run fsck and badblocks -vn. I have also connected it to the internet and
> doing an update.

It wouldn't hurt to run any onboard diagnostics the mobo has. They're
often worthless, but once something HAS failed, they'll usually pick
that up. From the message displayed, I"m not actually convinced it's
the drive. Might be the CPU or the bus even.

Richard Reina

Dec 2, 2013, 12:24:41 PM12/2/13
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com, luni-c...@googlegroups.com
After I updated it gives me a new kernel to boot into. I am trying that out. Will let everybody know how it works.

Carl Karsten

Dec 2, 2013, 1:03:05 PM12/2/13
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
I think the most fragile thing is currently memory
and it is easy enough to test it pretty thoroughly

http://www.memtest86.com/
or
http://www.memtest.org/

"""Based on the well-known original memtest86 written by Chris Brady,
memtest86+ is a port by some members of the x86-secret team, now
working at www.canardpc.com. Our goal is to provide an up-to-date and
completly reliable version of this software tool aimed at memory
failures detection. Memtest86+ was, is and will always be a free,
open-source software. The original Memtest86 is now handled by
PassMark® Software Pty Ltd."""

Ubuntu (and maybe Debian?) installs one of those by default so it
shows up as something grub can load.

I am 99% sure it is on the ubuntu live CD, so I would start with that.
--
Carl K

eviljoel

Dec 2, 2013, 6:37:59 PM12/2/13
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
Hello All,

Sadly, this might be the only warning you get when your drive is full.
I'm pretty sure I got a similar error when that happened to me. On
second thought, my kernel didn't panic but you should check your disk
usage anyway.

Laters,
eviljoel

Arun Khan

Dec 3, 2013, 9:27:47 AM12/3/13
to LUNI
On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 8:55 PM, Richard Reina <gator...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I have a machine that has been running Centos 6.2 for a couple of
> years without any problems. Over the holiday it started stopped
> working and displayed the attached sceen.

<humor>
The machine needed a Thanksgiving break :)
</humor>

All of the suggestions by others are great. I would add that take a
back of your important files if you can recover the file system.
Connect the disk to another "known" working system.

I agree with Keith, my kernel panics have been associated with
underlying hardware failure (a) bad disk (smartctl errors), (b) bad
RAM (memtest - let it run through the entire memory range) (c) failing
chip set (time outs with good hard disk and cable).

Good luck.

-- Arun Khan

Richard Reina

Dec 3, 2013, 9:49:19 AM12/3/13
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com, LUNI
So far machine is problem free for almost 24 hours since booting into new kernel. Disk usage is only 20%. I will look into mem test if I see anymore problems and I will update the thread either way in a week.

Thanks for all the help.

Richard Reina

Dec 9, 2013, 6:43:31 AM12/9/13
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com, LUNI
It has now been a week and this machine is still problem free so it appears that in this case updating and booting into a newer kernel has worked. If it dies in the near future I'll try to update this thread.

Keith T. Garner

Dec 9, 2013, 10:01:35 AM12/9/13
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
It could still be bad RAM. I had a machine that had bad RAM high in the address space. It was take a good two weeks of running before the system finally got to that part of RAM and it fell over. If you didn't run memtest, I'd still suggest doing that.

Worst case, you buy new RAM, medium case, you follow http://gquigs.blogspot.com/2009/01/bad-memory-howto.html to ignore that bad RAM, best case: it wasn't the RAM and you're free and clear.

Keith

Richard Reina

Dec 9, 2013, 10:12:02 AM12/9/13
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi Keith,

Thanks for the suggestion. Maybe over the weekend when I'm brave
enough to reboot the machine I will run memtest and I will certainly
do so sooner should the machine have problems. Will keep everyone
posted.

Thanks again.

Richard