grub shows memtest only

Richard Reina

Jul 15, 2015, 8:59:32 AM7/15/15
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
When I go in to GRUB and execute ls
I only see (hd0) (hd0,msdos9) (hd0,msdos8) (hd0,msdos7) (hd0,msdos6) (hd0,msdos5) (hd0,msdos1)

Any ideas as what I can do?

William Scott Lockwood III

Jul 15, 2015, 9:01:32 AM7/15/15
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com

1. Boot from rescue cd
2. Chroot to your file system
3. Reinstall grub and watch for errors

Richard Reina

Jul 15, 2015, 9:12:52 AM7/15/15
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the reply. Don't have a rescue cd. Nothing really important on the machine and was planning to do a reinstall anyway because I don't like the partitioning. So I am off to get create a Debian boot stick with unetbootin.

Thanks again

Mike Scott

Jul 15, 2015, 9:51:12 AM7/15/15
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
You can also boot the live OS from the stick, mount the partition with
/home, and copy any important data before blowing it away. Assuming you
don't have any fancy RAID/LVM partitions.

- Mike Scott

W Scott Lockwood III

Jul 15, 2015, 10:24:02 AM7/15/15
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
On 7/15/2015 8:12 AM, Richard Reina wrote:
> Thanks for the reply. Don't have a rescue cd. Nothing really important
> on the machine and was planning to do a reinstall anyway because I
> don't like the partitioning. So I am off to get create a Debian boot
> stick with unetbootin.
>
> Thanks again

That is a rescue CD. Any modern distro install media can usually be used
to rescue a system. Boot into the live CD or otherwise get to a shell.
That's really all you need.

If you're going to reinstall anyway, why ask for help with the problem? :-)

Richard Reina

Jul 15, 2015, 10:33:18 AM7/15/15
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the idea.

Richard Reina

Jul 15, 2015, 10:35:41 AM7/15/15
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com

Didn't think about the reinstall until after I asked the question. But the replies were nonetheless instructive even though I took a different path.

Thanks again

W Scott Lockwood III

Jul 15, 2015, 10:44:29 AM7/15/15
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
On 7/15/2015 9:35 AM, Richard Reina wrote:
> Didn't think about the reinstall until after I asked the question. But the replies were nonetheless instructive even though I took a different path.
>
> Thanks again
Anytime! I wasn't serious, thus the smiley face. :-) There's a lot of
good instructional videos on this stuff out on youtube as well if you're
ever interested.

eviljoel

Jul 15, 2015, 10:43:39 PM7/15/15
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
Hey Richard,

If you are having these kinds of problems, you might want to run some
disk health checks before installing.

- eviljoel
--
Let me teach you encrypted e-mail. eviljoel's PGP fingerprint:
A2BE 2D12 24D1 67CA 8830 DDE7 DFB3 676B 196D 6430

signature.asc