Linux Club - December 5, 2013

CLC Linux Club

Nov 21, 2013, 1:36:13 PM11/21/13
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
Where: Sedgebrook

Topic: Virtualization

Time: 6:30 pm - 8:30pm

See link for directions:
https://clclinux.org/node/43

I am sending this out a bit early, as we are looking for people who can talk on Virtualization.  If anyone would like to share their experiences, we would appreciate your knowledge.

We are especially looking someone to show VMware, Xen or other Virtualizaion programs.

Please send me an email, if you are willing to give a short talk.

Thanks,

CLC Linux Club

Dec 1, 2013, 9:55:54 AM12/1/13
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
I just wanted to send an update about this meeting.

We have 3 speakers for this meeting.

1. Matthew Kurowski - to talk about Virtualization. He will also talk about Vmware and Hypervisor.
2. Trev Peterson - can discuss Xen
3. Julie Bell - can discuss Virtual Box

If you are curious about virturalizion this is a meeting for you to attend, and get your questions answered.

Carl Karsten

Dec 1, 2013, 12:23:57 PM12/1/13
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
Someone needs to do something about Vagrant.
http://www.vagrantup.com/

It isn't a VM, it is a VM manager. (at least that is how I see it.)

In the past, I used qemu and some shell scripts:

https://gitorious.org/vms/vms/source/4bb4405a5d1bdf9b93945f3d44ed25dd582c4267:chipy_nov/mk_chipynov.sh

That gets the VM, runs it with ports setup to ssh in, copies some
scripts into it, runs the scripts to set something up in the VM.

Most of that is done in the 3 steps shown here:
http://docs.vagrantup.com/v2/getting-started/index.html
> --

Carl K

Matthew Kurowski

Dec 1, 2013, 1:00:32 PM12/1/13
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
Great idea Carl.

I've seen Vagrant pop up but never had the chance to use it. Once I'm done with my current lab work, I'll get Vagrant set up with VMware side for the Fusion/Workstation provider.

I'll look into the ESXi support I found here through this Ruby Gem (or an alternate): http://rubygems.org/gems/vagrant-esxi

Still, even with Vagrant and similar tools there's still the ancillary tasks that can be needed that are served best by tools like Puppet/bcfg2/etc. (That'd be an interesting poll.)

The Hyper-V support (for Server 2012 /R2) would give Vagrant a huge boost - especially since the Microsoft VMM is heavily broken especially in SMB3 deployments.

Carl Karsten

Dec 1, 2013, 2:14:43 PM12/1/13
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
If you know *anything* about Vagrant it wold be good if you can at
least sit up front with me to help field questions. I have seen a few
talks on it, and used it for a few hours. All I know is it seems like
the the right thing.

Carl Karsten

Dec 3, 2013, 5:06:03 PM12/3/13
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
What is the address?

https://clclinux.org/node/43

carl@dc10:~$ host clclinux.org
Host clclinux.org not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
--
Carl K

Carl Karsten

Dec 5, 2013, 9:44:43 PM12/5/13