Eth0: link is not ready

Richard Reina

Dec 5, 2015, 11:26:51 AM12/5/15
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
Hoping someone can help me with this Centos machine, kernel 2.6.32-358.14.1.el6.x86_64 After a power outage I get eth0: link is not ready -- see additional output in the attached photo. This Happened once before and I repowered the switch and it then worked. Have tried that remedy twice this time and it has not worked. This machine just sits on our LAN and sends faxes and thus is not connected to the interned even when networking is working. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sorry about the image, but can't connect to machine to post output.
IMG_5580.JPG

eviljoel

Dec 5, 2015, 12:30:01 PM12/5/15
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
Hello Richard,

This is typically the message you get when your cable is unplugged. If
it is plugged in, make sure you have a good connection. Re-seat the
cable on both ends. If that doesn't work try another cable. If that
doesn't work, figure out which NIC is bad (might be the one on the other
side) and replace it.

- eviljoel
--
Let me teach you encrypted e-mail. eviljoel's PGP fingerprint:
A2BE 2D12 24D1 67CA 8830 DDE7 DFB3 676B 196D 6430

signature.asc

Richard Reina

Dec 6, 2015, 12:51:11 PM12/6/15
to luni-chicago
Thanks for the reply. It was in fact the cable.

Jeff Yamada

Dec 6, 2015, 7:55:28 PM12/6/15
to luni mail list
Years ago I was roaming around Fry's and picked up an Ethernet cable
tester similar to this one. It's paid for itself many times over since
then.
http://www.amazon.com/Tonor-RJ45-Network-Cable-Tester/dp/B00OUFX38W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449449421&sr=8-1&keywords=ethernet+cable+tester