OT Debian Laptop recommendations

Richard Reina

Dec 21, 2017, 9:53:16 PM12/21/17
to luni-chicago
Sorry to bother with a mondane question but I've spent over an hour surfing and can't find a clear answer. I am looking for a laptop for the family for Xmas that will work well for Debian in $300-$400 range. Don't care too much about battery life because it will mostly sit in the kitchen. Just want it to work decent and have wifi capabilities. I love Debian but have mixed results when installing on laptops.

Any recommendations appreciated.

Thanks all.

Carl Karsten

Dec 21, 2017, 10:15:36 PM12/21/17
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
I have: LENOVO ThinkPad Twist 33476LU
running Ubuntu. everything works, including the touch screen.
the twisty screen is nice for showing other people my screen
boots from SSD in about 10 seconds.

Here is one for $300  and I see some cheaper.

https://www.ebay.com/i/172855793739?chn=ps

Lenovo ThinkPad Twist S230u 12.5" FULL TOUCH i5 3317U 1.7GHz 500GB HD Win 8 4FAR
> --

Carl K

Wayne Schneidman

Dec 21, 2017, 10:39:29 PM12/21/17
to LuniChicago Googlegroups
Here is Ubuntu's page of a lot of computers and laptops which are certified to work with Ubuntu:
https://certification.ubuntu.com/desktop/

Of course I've had no problems installing Ubuntu and other debian derivations on computers and laptops that are not on this list.

The real problem in today's world in my humble opinion is the emergence and implementation of the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface otherwise known as UEFI, which in some cases makes it hard if not impossible to install any  other operating system.

Just my 2 cents.

-Wayne S

On Thu, Dec 21, 2017 at 8:53 PM, Richard Reina <gator...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry to bother with a mondane question but I've spent over an hour surfing and can't find a clear answer. I am looking for a laptop for the family for Xmas that will work well for Debian in $300-$400 range. Don't care too much about battery life because it will mostly sit in the kitchen. Just want it to work decent and have wifi capabilities. I love Debian but have mixed results when installing on laptops.
>
> Any recommendations appreciated.
>
> Thanks all.
>
> --

Carl K