Creating a remote backup appliance with BitTorrent Sync and Raspberry Pi

Wayne Schneidman

Aug 10, 2014, 11:48:08 AM8/10/14
to Linux Users Of Northern Illinois (Chicago) - Technical Discussion, luni announce, LuniChicago Googlegroups, nwclug meetup, Ubuntu Listing
A UniForum Chicago event open to the public

When: 8/26/14 - 7 pm

Where:   IIT Rice Campus
             201 East Loop Rd
             Room 103
             Wheaton, IL

Info:

Presentation by Tom Purl:

Cloud-based storage services are great for storing remote backups, but recent revelations show that they don't always respect your privacy. This presentation will show you how to reclaim your data privacy by building a remote backup appliance that you can install on a friend or family member's network that "just works". A private "Dropbox-like" device.  This appliance uses tools like BitTorrent Sync, Tor, Puppet and Raspberry Pi to create a simple, secure, inexpensive and resilient system. So far I'm calling it rbpod but I'm open to suggestions. :-) There will be a live demonstration along with programming details covered on the command line.

Will be very interesting and relevant to anyone who's been looking for real world applications for the Rasberry Pi along with anyone who's been interested in creating their own personal cloud storage or anyone interested in learning about this technology

Tom Purl works as a FileNet and IBM Business Process Manager administrator. He has been a Middleware Administrator in the Financial Services industry for 14 years.

After the meeting we generally adjourn to Cozymel's around the corner from IIT for a more informal get together and discussion.

Event also posted on our meetup site:

All the best,

Wayne Schneidman
UniForum Chicago