FYI luni.org

Samir Faci

Oct 10, 2015, 10:07:06 PM10/10/15
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
I'm going to cancel the auto renewal for luni.org unless anyone wants to pick it up.

All the communication is now on google groups so this shouldn't impact the mailing list in any way.

The site has been fairly static for years now aside from being re-written by me out of boredom in a variety of different framework.

If anyone wants to further develop the site or do anything with the domain let me know.

Otherwise, I'll let it expire and retire it to the internet archives.

--
Thank you
Samir Faci

eviljoel

Oct 10, 2015, 10:11:17 PM10/10/15
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
When does it expire?

- eviljoel

On 10/10/2015 09:07 PM, Samir Faci wrote:
> I'm going to cancel the auto renewal for luni.org <http://luni.org>
> --

Let me teach you encrypted e-mail. eviljoel's PGP fingerprint:
A2BE 2D12 24D1 67CA 8830 DDE7 DFB3 676B 196D 6430

signature.asc

Samir Faci

Oct 10, 2015, 10:17:18 PM10/10/15
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
Creation Date: 1998-07-17T04:00:00Z
Updated Date: 2015-07-16T04:01:02Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2016-07-16T04:00:00Z

Thank you
Samir Faci

eviljoel

Oct 10, 2015, 10:20:56 PM10/10/15
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, that was a silly question:
$ whois luni.org

Thanks,
eviljoel

On 10/10/2015 09:17 PM, Samir Faci wrote:
> Creation Date: 1998-07-17T04:00:00Z
> Updated Date: 2015-07-16T04:01:02Z
> Registry Expiry Date: *2016-07-16T04:00:00Z*
>

> On Sat, Oct 10, 2015 at 7:10 PM, eviljoel <evil...@linux.com
> <mailto:evil...@linux.com>> wrote:
>
> When does it expire?
>
> - eviljoel
>
> On 10/10/2015 09:07 PM, Samir Faci wrote:
> > I'm going to cancel the auto renewal for luni.org
> <http://luni.org> <http://luni.org>
> > unless anyone wants to pick it up.
> >
> > All the communication is now on google groups so this shouldn't impact
> > the mailing list in any way.
> >
> > The site has been fairly static for years now aside from being
> > re-written by me out of boredom in a variety of different framework.
> >
> > If anyone wants to further develop the site or do anything with the
> > domain let me know.
> >
> > Otherwise, I'll let it expire and retire it to the internet archives.
> >

> > --
> > Thank you
> > Samir Faci
> >
> > --
> <mailto:luni-c...@googlegroups.com>
> > <mailto:luni-c...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:luni-c...@googlegroups.com>>.
> > Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/luni-chicago.
>
> --
> Let me teach you encrypted e-mail. eviljoel's PGP fingerprint:
> A2BE 2D12 24D1 67CA 8830 DDE7 DFB3 676B 196D 6430
>
> --
signature.asc

Dan Yocum

Oct 11, 2015, 8:53:13 AM10/11/15
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
As one of the early luni.org members and the president and benevolent dictator for life of AALUG, I personally extend my thanks to your continued support of luni.org domain and respect your decision to shut it down.

Long live LUNI. In the annals of archive.org

Arun Khan

Oct 12, 2015, 4:40:22 AM10/12/15
to LUNI
On Sun, Oct 11, 2015 at 6:23 PM, Dan Yocum <yocu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As one of the early luni.org members and the president and benevolent
> dictator for life of AALUG, I personally extend my thanks to your continued
> support of luni.org domain and respect your decision to shut it down.
>
> Long live LUNI. In the annals of archive.org.

Amen and thanks for bringing continuity to the mailing list.

-- Arun Khan
(also an early LUNI.org member)

James L. Mazurek

Oct 12, 2015, 2:42:06 PM10/12/15
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
Samir,

I am interested in assuming responsibility for the luni.org domain name. I
feel there is value in having a central website containing information
about Linux user groups in the Northern Illinois area.

Thank you for managing the luni.org domain and website for as long as you
have.

Truly,

Jim Mazurek

Samir Faci

Oct 12, 2015, 4:31:53 PM10/12/15
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
Fair enough.  I'll start the transfer process unless there's any objections.  I'm not even in IL though I love your LUNI-ers? Luns? It doesn't make much sense for me to hold domain ownership.

Current Setup:

Dev Code

I have 3 different versions right that are essentially equivalent.    Django, Pyramid(ie Egypt) and the current version is implemented in java Play framework.

My current favorite if flask and can throw together a new flask version if you'd like.

I would love to have LUNI be a more central point.  When I was in Chicago I was trying to build something that we could delegate and maintained by multiple groups.

ie.  ChiLUG, UICLUG, Depaul LUG or whatever.. just give each group an account and they can use to post announcements (bypassing moderation) adding events to the page, and such.  If we ever develop it beyond a static page.

Hosting

www:

The app is running on heroku's free tier.

Just my 2 cents.  I've tried to move away from the 'running on someone's server in my basement'  Which is one reason why I chose to move LUNI to google groups.  It doesn't rely on anyone particular person being available or maintaining it.

It's not very FOSS, but it doesn't require anyone to spend their own time on it.

misc:

LUNI is associated with a google hosted apps.  I think it's limited to 10 - 20 accounts, but if you want to save it, I can get you the DNS settings, crednetials and such to maintain it.  Since google stopped giving their stuff for free.

I also have the really OLD archives somewhere, that I was trying to import them into a google archive group.

@James:  I'll start the transfer either later today or tomorrow.

eviljoel

Oct 12, 2015, 4:53:09 PM10/12/15
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
Hey Samir,

Please, give it a couple days before you start the transfer process. I
want there to be time for someone to object. No offence to James, but
I'm not familiar with him and I don't want the domain transferred to
some weirdo. There is also a chance that someone more qualified to
handle the domain might pop-up. (Again, I don't know James. He might
be the most qualified to take ownership.)

Thanks,
eviljoel

W Scott Lockwood III

Oct 12, 2015, 4:56:23 PM10/12/15
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
Sigh.

How about this - let's all chip in a $1 and get it renewed, and then you
can vet whomever so that Samir isn't stuck with it when he doesn't want
it anymore.
--
W. Scott Lockwood III
sc...@guppylog.com

Mike Scott

Oct 12, 2015, 5:04:05 PM10/12/15
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
Could even set up a GoFundMe or KickStarter page to cover domain
registration fees and hosting.

- Mike Scott

Samir Faci

Oct 12, 2015, 5:08:47 PM10/12/15
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
It's not so much the coast... though that's part of it  (I was looking at my google domains and seeing why I have some 7 domains I really don't need, hence spring cleaning).  I'm really not involved or have much interest in developing luni at this point.  It's way out side of my zip code.

I just wanted to pass on the torch to someone that has an interest in doing something with it.  Which is why I mentioned my grand master plan from a few years ago.

So.

1.  Everything will still function w/o LUNI.org domain and I'd like to keep it that if we can.  (My 2 cents constructive criticism )
2.  Be nice Joel, don't be evil.
3.  I don't care who gets the domain but let me know.  Anyone who wants to use it to make something useful out of it gets major brownie points.

Thank you
Samir Faci

James L. Mazurek

Oct 12, 2015, 7:01:21 PM10/12/15
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
Samir,

I'm fine with waiting some additional time for further comments from the
group. I'm more concerned that the community retains the domain name and
whom ever is selected to be responsible for it makes an effort to
properly maintain the domain name and website.

Jim