ADVICE SOUGHT: Battery backup for a few Centos and Debian servers

Richard Reina

Oct 20, 2017, 12:30:05 PM10/20/17
to luni-chicago
Hellow all,

I have about five DB servers -- 2 rackmouted and the rest desktops -- and a handful of old laptops in my office. I have just learned that Comed will be turing off my electricty tomorrow from about an hour or two. I don't necessarily need the machines up at that time but am always a little worried (perhaps unenecessarily) about shuting them down. Wanted get opinions/ recommendations. Shut them down or add battery backups to keep them running?

Thanks,

bil Jeschke

Oct 20, 2017, 12:41:28 PM10/20/17
to Linux Discussion
Take a look at how much money it will cost to keep 5 servers running for an hour and decide if it's worth the cost.  You will either be buying 5 low-end units or a couple larger ones.

Jeff Yamada

Oct 20, 2017, 12:52:13 PM10/20/17
to luni mail list
Not to dissuade you from getting some UPS units as they might be worth
investing in anyway, but won't you need to power everything off anyway
to switch the power plugs around?

On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 11:41 AM, bil Jeschke <bil.j...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Take a look at how much money it will cost to keep 5 servers running for an
> hour and decide if it's worth the cost. You will either be buying 5 low-end
> units or a couple larger ones.
>
> On Oct 20, 2017 11:30 AM, "Richard Reina" <gator...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hellow all,
>
> I have about five DB servers -- 2 rackmouted and the rest desktops -- and a
> handful of old laptops in my office. I have just learned that Comed will be
> turing off my electricty tomorrow from about an hour or two. I don't
> necessarily need the machines up at that time but am always a little worried
> (perhaps unenecessarily) about shuting them down. Wanted get opinions/
> recommendations. Shut them down or add battery backups to keep them running?
>
> Thanks,
>

> --

Richard Reina

Oct 20, 2017, 1:02:54 PM10/20/17
to luni-chicago
Yes, it's true but the master is on a backup with an APC XS 1300 that should keep in running for about 35 minutes. But yes you are correct. Comed is also threating to have to shut me down again for up to 120 minutes next Friday don't know how I can get enough backup for that and I will need everthing running then.

Not to dissuade you from getting some UPS units as they might be worth
investing in anyway, but won't you need to power everything off anyway
to switch the power plugs around?

On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 11:41 AM, bil Jeschke <bil.j...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Take a look at how much money it will cost to keep 5 servers running for an
> hour and decide if it's worth the cost.  You will either be buying 5 low-end
> units or a couple larger ones.
>
> On Oct 20, 2017 11:30 AM, "Richard Reina" <gator...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hellow all,
>
> I have about five DB servers -- 2 rackmouted and the rest desktops -- and a
> handful of old laptops in my office. I have just learned that Comed will be
> turing off my electricty tomorrow from about an hour or two. I don't
> necessarily need the machines up at that time but am always a little worried
> (perhaps unenecessarily) about shuting them down. Wanted get opinions/
> recommendations. Shut them down or add battery backups to keep them running?
>
> Thanks,
>

> --

Arun Khan

Oct 20, 2017, 2:11:25 PM10/20/17
to LUNI
On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 9:30 AM, Richard Reina <gator...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hellow all,
>
> I have about five DB servers -- 2 rackmouted and the rest desktops -- and a
> handful of old laptops in my office. I have just learned that Comed will be
> turing off my electricty tomorrow from about an hour or two.

I agree with others about the UPS strategy. Presuming that you will
not be able to do anything much during the blackout, it does not make
sense to keep the servers running. Besides, there's no guarantee that
ComEd will restore the power per their schedule.

What's the OS? What's the DB engine MySQL, postgreSQL or something
else? How big are the DB files?
Are you making backups at regular intervals? Have you restored from
the backups and done any data validation (on separate systems)?

This might be a good opportunity for you to devise a DR plan and test
it out. One possibility, you can rent an AWS RDS instance and run the
DB engine there. Don't forget to put in tight Security Group ACLs and
shut it down when it's not needed.

For MySQL on CentOS, worst case scenario (your server dies), it is as
simple as doing a fresh min install, replicate the files in
/var/lib/mysql, install MySQL and start the MySQL engine.

-- Arun Khan

Trev Peterson

Oct 20, 2017, 2:53:05 PM10/20/17
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
If these are mission critical servers you really need to have some
decent runtime UPSes on them anyway, although maybe not 120 minutes.
For that amount of time, especially since it might be longer, you might
want to look at renting or borrowing a small generator. With that
running and powering the UPSes you should be able to get through the
outage.

For this week's outage you definitely want to get your backups in order
and tested.

Not sure what your workloads on those servers are but might be worth
migrating to a newer, more energy efficient server with VMs and then
dimension your UPSes for that. You can pick up decent used APC UPSes
that work great with Linux, put new batteries in them and be good for
several years before having to replace or upgrade them. All depends on
how much time and money you have to throw at the problem and how long
you want to go without headache ;)

Hope this helps
> > > email to luni-chicago...@googlegroups.com.
> > m.
> > > Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/luni-chicago.
> > >

> > > --
> > m.
> > > Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/luni-chicago.
> >
> > --
>
> --
Trev Peterson
Advanced Reality
Email: tr...@advanced-reality.com
Phone: +1 847 406 9018

Lukasz Szybalski

Oct 20, 2017, 4:22:38 PM10/20/17
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
Get a battery backup or turn them off.
Last time I had this problem I lost the raid5 and about 10% of data.

Problem is that they turn ON the power for 10sec and turn it off.. And they do that couple times before it's stable.

Sine the computers are set to auto start as soon as power comes back.. They start loading and boom.. It's off again.

System goes into constancy check.. And boom it's off again..

Lucas

> > m.
> > > Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/luni-chicago.
> > >

> > > --
> > m.
> > > Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/luni-chicago.
> >
> > --
>
> --
Trev Peterson
Advanced Reality
Email: tr...@advanced-reality.com
Phone: +1 847 406 9018

Richard Reina

Oct 20, 2017, 4:35:08 PM10/20/17
to luni-chicago
Great advice everyone. For now I am adding a Trip-Lite 1500VA UPS for my main DB server Centos/MySQL. Once I know exactly how much up time that will give me I'll plan out how bid of UPSs I need for the slaves.

Thank you very much for all the insightful replies. Have a greta weekend.

Richard

David L Carlson

Oct 20, 2017, 4:56:50 PM10/20/17
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
Richard,

I am not sure which model you are getting but it appears to have about 60 or 70 watt-hours of storage.  That won't last very long if your load is 400 or 500 watts.

David C
--
David Carlson

Richard Reina