OT: PCB Fabrication

Mike Scott

Jan 20, 2017, 12:18:39 PM1/20/17
to AALUG Mailing List
Can anyone recommend a good source for low-volume 2-layer and 4-layer
PCB fabrication?
I have a project and found a schematic/layout tool for Linux,
http://kicad-pcb.org/
but turning my fantasy into reality is the next step.

=^.^=
Mike Scott

Connie Sieh

Jan 20, 2017, 12:23:49 PM1/20/17
to AALUG Mailing List
> --

https://www.oshpark.com . These are made in the USA.

A friend just gave me a board she designed with Kicad and had made by
oshpark.

-Connie Sieh

Jim Harvey

Jan 20, 2017, 2:20:42 PM1/20/17
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
There is a free version of Eagle that will do small double sided boards.

-- The only difference between men and boys, is the price of their toys.

Jan 20, 2017, 3:05:14 PM1/20/17
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com

Mike,

I don't have a suggestion for low cost fabrication, but maybe some of the makers at pumping station 1 do:
https://pumpingstationone.org/chat/

Try checking with other maker spaces in the Chicago area as well. They may have more experience getting circuit boards stamped out.

Good luck,

Sean

Drew Fustini

Jan 25, 2017, 7:30:53 PM1/25/17
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the mentioning OSH Park, Connie.

I work (remotely from Chicago) for Portland-based OSH Park, and KiCad
board files (.kicad_pcb) can be uploaded directly to our website for
ordering:
https://blog.oshpark.com/2016/06/08/native-kicad-uploads/

KiCad has improved leaps and bounds over the last couple years, and I
highly recommend it to anyone who wants to design electronics with
Free Software. I started moving from EAGLE to KiCad a year ago, and
Contextual Electronics (by Chicago-based Chris Gammell) has been a
great help:
https://contextualelectronics.com/learning/getting-to-blinky-4-0/

If you're curious about who develops KiCad, then checkout this FOSDEM talk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRolB1my6fI

And here's the latest news for KiCad from upcoming FOSDEM 2017 talk:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8ng6CtJ1Hh6NU11UTRrbzZBYjg/view #FOSDEM

Please let me know if you have anymore questions.

Cheers,
Drew