UniForum Chicago General Meeting Open To The Public

Wayne Schneidman

May 19, 2016, 9:04:07 AM5/19/16
to Linux Users Of Northern Illinois (Chicago) - Technical Discussion, luni announce, LuniChicago Googlegroups, nwclug meetup, Ubuntu Listing
            Inversion Of Control and Node.JS

                            Kent Archie & Daryl Monge

                        6:30p, Tuesday May 24th 2016

      Bolingbrook, Fountaindale Public Library, Meeting Room B, 300 West Briarcliff Road, Bolingnbrook, IL  60440
              http://www.fountaindale.org/about/faq

Our May general meeting will be in new location in Bolingbrook, at the Fountaindale Public Library, and earlier at 6:30p than we had been starting before.

Abstract

We have previously discussed various interesting architectures and technologies used by both the Pebble and Apple watches.  This set of talks will dig deeper into several technologies used by those products in developing applications for their respective platforms.

Inversion of Control is a technique for combining many separate components of a software system into a cohesive whole. It is an important component of Model-View-Controller paradigm in modern software systems.  I will discuss what this technique looks like how it is frequently used in MVC systems.

NodeJS is a popular web platform.  It acts as a webserver and a backend web application processor. All the backend code in written in Javascript, so you can use the same language on the front and backend. It is non-blocking and can handle large amounts of activity.  I will go through installation on Windows and Linux and walk through a simple application.  I will also discuss a few NodeJS service providers.

As usual we will be having a "Meeting After the Meeting" for talk and drinks afterwards. What location we will use has yet to be determined.

Bio

Kent Archie is a software developer at DRW Trading.  Over the years he has programmed on everything from Fortran using punched cards on a Univac 1100 to web applications using node.js and Mongodb. He has taught at several local colleges including a brief stint at IIT.  He is lately having fun playing with his Pebble watch and NodeJS applications.

Daryl Monge is a Principal Consultant for Actian Corp. His background includes database technology, IT operations, and software development and manufacture.  His current interests are Analytic database technology, Distributed Computing, and Java software development systems and techniques.  Actian
is a provider of a broad range of data solutions including an OLTP database, analytic databases, an object database, and connectivity and transformation tools.

Getting There

This General meeting of UniForum Chicago will be from 6:30pm to 8:30 pm
on Tuesday, May 24th, 2016 in Bolingbrook.  The address of the meeting facility is:

       Fountaindale Public Library
       300 West Briarcliff Road
       Bolingnbrook, IL  60440

Google Maps:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/300+W+Briarcliff+Rd,+Bolingbrook,+IL+60440/@41.6988179,-88.0815764,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x880e5bce168370db:0xf1eba6f8d07fdbc7!8m2!3d41.6988139!4d-88.0793877

More detailed directions and maps are available at:

       http://www.fountaindale.org/about/faq

All UniForum Chicago general meetings are open to the public free of charge.

For more information about UniForum Chicago contact in...@uniforum.chi.il.us.