Looking for a good email host

Mike Scott

May 14, 2014, 12:59:49 PM5/14/14
to AALUG Mailing List
I have been having a lot of issues lately with my current email hosting
through GoDaddy.
I get incorrect unread counts in webmail, have trouble loading messages,
and lack of synchronization with Android devices.

My basic requirements are:

Ability to have multiple accounts
At least a GB of storage
IMAP a must
Webmail interface nice
Prefer Linux hosted solution, just because...

Anything that you can recommend?

- Mike Scott

William Scott Lockwood III

May 14, 2014, 1:05:40 PM5/14/14
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
GANDI

They rock.

--
W. Scott Lockwood III

Wayne Schneidman

May 14, 2014, 1:06:33 PM5/14/14
to LuniChicago Googlegroups
I recommend Bluehost.

On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 11:59 AM, Mike Scott <lu...@pyewacket.org> wrote:

- Mike Scott

Mark M.

May 15, 2014, 11:40:13 AM5/15/14
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
I second Wayne. I've been using Bluehost for work and personally for a few years. Professionally, I was ready to move away from them, but when it came time to separate my personal stuff (I had been piggy-backing with the blessing of my last job), I decided to stick with the devil I knew, and it's been fine.  The only problem I really ran into for business use was constant warnings about having too high a 'file count.' That's because every message is a file and every user is a packrat. They never DID anything about having too many files, mind you, there was just the constant threat that they 'could.'

It's cheap, includes web, databases, and ssh access if you like. Works fine with android and iPhone clients as well.

Coincidentally, new job uses them as well.
--
Mark/Oblivion

Oleg Brodkin

May 15, 2014, 11:54:54 AM5/15/14
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
I use Zimbra email server for the last ... many years, hosted by 01.com. Not a perfect host, you can find others at http://www.zimbra.com/partners/zimbra_solution_providers.html

It is a drop-in replacement for MS Exchange with identical features and more (IOS and Droid uses MS Exchange sync, even works on my Nokia). Great support for Linux. Zimbra is ranked #3 by install base after MS Exchange and IBM note. Offers its own Zimbra desktop (MS, Apple and Linux).

It is a mature enterprise ready product, that you can have for $50/year for a single user. Domain aliases are free.

OB

Larry Garfield

May 19, 2014, 10:53:24 PM5/19/14
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
My email has been hosted with Fastmail.fm for the past several years. I
don't know what they're running under the hood, but I've been fairly
happy with them. Otherwise they hit all of the points you list below.

--Larry Garfield