Home Routers

Larry Garfield

May 28, 2014, 11:32:58 PM5/28/14
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
Evening, folks.

My 3 year old Buffalo router is on its last legs. (How those actually
die with no moving parts I don't know, but they keep going bad after 2-3
years. Doesn't matter what brand. Yeesh!) I'm looking for
recommendations on a new one.

Looking for:
- NOT something I have to flash. If it runs dd-wrt or similar natively,
cool, but my sysadmin days are behind me.
- 802.11n, solid range. (It will live in my basement and should reach
the 2nd floor and y ard.)
- A couple of ethernet ports, but doesn't need many. The standard 4 is fine.
- Easy port forwarding setup.
- Whatever that feature is that lets applications automatically set a
port forwarding to themselves when they start. (I forget what it's
called off hand.)
- Static DHCP: I want to use DHCP for all config, but some MACs should
always get the same IP. (Home servers, etc.)
- Not too expensive, I hope. It's just a home network. :-)

I think these days the Static DHCP is the only one that isn't standard
on everything.

Any suggestions/recommendations? (Good or bad.)

--Larry Garfield

Samir Faci

May 28, 2014, 11:44:29 PM5/28/14
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
Well.. I personally have a soft spot for the WRT54G.  It's still one of my favorite routers though it's beyond ancient.  (I miss that router)

Failing that, I've got last router based on some articles from:  http://www.myopenrouter.com/.

I have a WNR3500L which I'm pretty fond of.  I initially got it 'cause I wanted to play with IPv6 but that project got benched.

Mostly, it's a decent router.  I don't have to power cycle too often.  It actually has an on/off button (what a concept.. turning it on /off doesn't involve yanking the power cord).

It supports dd-wrt/tomato if you feeling adventurous.  My only minus would be that I hate the netgear stock firmware, so if you're not going to flash it, I'd personally would rather get some linksys based router.

--Larry Garfield

Samir Faci
*insert title*
fortune | cowsay -f /usr/share/cows/tux.cow

Sent from my non-iphone laptop.

Wayne Schneidman

May 28, 2014, 11:56:09 PM5/28/14
to LuniChicago Googlegroups, la...@garfieldtech.com
I've already setup a couple of routers similar to this and they have worked out very well:

Here's the manual for it:

The price on this one is certainly good.

Wayne

--Larry Garfield

Kevin Hill

May 29, 2014, 10:00:55 AM5/29/14
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I highly recommend the Asus RT-AC66U. Its kinda pricy, although Newegg
occasionally has deals on refurbs. I had issues like you with getting
decent reception on multiple floors. This has very good range, 4 gigE
ports, works with Comcast's ipv6, and the original firmware is decent.
There is also a nice custom firmware that is mostly stock, with some
enhancements from dd-wrt, etc, at:
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/bkfq2a6aebq68//Asuswrt-Merlin

-kevin

Larry Garfield

May 29, 2014, 12:33:30 PM5/29/14
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the responses so far.

Follow up: It looks like there's a new series of 802.11ac routers out
now, in addition to the n's. Anyone have experience with those? Worth
the trouble/money? (Everything I have now is n, but of course I assume
devices will gradually shift to whatever the new fastness is as time
goes by.)

--Larry Garfield

Matthew Kurowski

May 29, 2014, 12:38:36 PM5/29/14
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com

Good personal experience w the unit Kevin recommends.

Is AC worth it? Even some old devices can be retrofitted at times. I'm not going that far. It's been nice.