disable screen blanking in Debian

Richard Reina

Nov 13, 2014, 1:53:38 PM11/13/14
to luni-chicago
For several days I have been trying to find a command that will temporarily stop my screen in debian from blanking and locking.  I want to put this command into a script that will keep the screen awake while certain programs are running and then I was hoping to re-enable screen locking with another command. Console mode has the very handy setterm -blank but I can find nothing similar for debian xwindows despite experimenting extensively with:

export DISPLAY=:0.0
xset s off
xset s 3600

and a few other xset commands none of which work.  If anyone can help I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks and have a great day.

eviljoel

Nov 13, 2014, 3:57:16 PM11/13/14
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
Did you play with xrandr?

- eviljoel

Richard Reina

Nov 13, 2014, 4:14:34 PM11/13/14
to luni-chicago
yes

Neil R. Ormos

Nov 13, 2014, 6:23:44 PM11/13/14
to luni-chicago
Richard Reina wrote:

> For several days I have been trying to find a
> command that will temporarily stop my screen in
> debian from blanking and locking. I want to put
> this command into a script that will keep the
> screen awake while certain programs are running
> and then I was hoping to re-enable screen
> locking with another command.

You didn't say which Debian release you are
running nor which desktop.

For older Debian releases (e.g., Squeeze), running
Gnome 2, there were a couple of entries (so called
"keys") in the Gconf database which could be
changed using gconftool-2 to programmatically
control this behavior:

/apps/gnome-screensaver/idle_activation_enabled
/apps/gnome-screensaver/idle_delay

I believe newer Debian now uses the Dconf
database, and there are command-line tools to
manipulate it (dconf and gsettings), but I don't
know the names of the keys or even whether the
screensaver behavior is controlled there.

Carl Karsten

Nov 14, 2014, 12:27:09 AM11/14/14
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
root around in there, I think that will have what you want.  sorta.   turning it back on may take a little work, but it should be easy.

Carl K