Pular para a primeira mensagem não lida

Mike Scott

não lida,
4 de jul. de 2015, 14:01:2704/07/2015
para AALUG Mailing List
Well, my install of FC22 is progressing on my desktop system.
I installed a 500G Samsung SSD as the boot/root drive and mounted /home
on my 2TB WD drive.

So far I have HandBrake (CLI) and MakeMkv installed and appear to
function.
I have to test if the HandBrake is new enough to rip BBCA discs.
If not I may have to pull from svn nightly builds.

Usual fussiness with VMWare Workststion not compiling modules, working
on that.
I found some patches for Workstation 10, but they don't work on the
build that I have.
I am looking at upgrading to Workstation 11 for Windows 10 evaluations,
but have to confirm that will resolve the issues.

Also installed on a 256G SSD in my old X61 laptop/tablet and am working
to get the screen rotation to function.
I had the same issue with FC19 and passed on it, but I am still running
FC17 and its getting a bit dated. May try Ubuntu Mate on that guy.

A couple of issues with FC22, Fedora changed from yum to dnf, so I have
to train my fingers to type new commands. Also they switched from
KeePass to KeyPass2 sometime between FC21 and 22,
Not a huge deal, and I should have updated awhile back, but there is no
package for FC17 and since they use a different database format, all of
my devices (laptops, phone, Android tablet) had to be updated to share
database.

Also, not loving the new Gnome desktop (even classic is not perfect for
me), but I am trying to get used to it.
I miss being able to add launchers to the desktop and the task bar. Not
sure why the Gnome team decided to take that away.

I did have a method of browsing shares on my network that seems to be
broken in this version.
I use autofs to mount fileshares on demand.
This means that when I reference a folder in (in my setup) /misc, the
folder mounts the NFS share from the server, then unmounts quietly when
no longer needed. This works quite well since I don't mount something
until needed and it doesn't kill the boot trying to mount shares when
the server is not available which is crucial for a laptop.

The problem is, if you open the /misc directory in s graphical browser,
it will be empty unless something else referenced the share recently. I
used to have launchers that used xdg-open to fire the automount and open
the shared folder, but Gnome 3 seems to be fighting me on that.

My work-around was to put a folder on the desktop that contains symbolic
links to the automount shares. That way they can open right up using
only the mouse. The only potential downside side, opening the folder
containing the symlinks mounts all of the shares in it (why I can't put
them directly on the desktop. Not a huge deal for me since I only have
a handful of shares, but it might be a hit if a lot of shares have to be
mounted.

Finally, here is some helpful info if you want to look into this:
http://www.hecticgeek.com/2014/12/fedora-21-review/
http://rpmfusion.org/Configuration
http://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/833026-things-to-do-after-installing-fedora-22
http://www.linux.com/news/software/applications/810295-the-top-11-best-linux-distros-for-2015

- Mike Scott

Tom Yarrish

não lida,
4 de jul. de 2015, 15:39:3504/07/2015
para luni-c...@googlegroups.com
Mike,
Is this the issue you're having with VMWare:

I normally have to do this on my systems even with version 11.

Tom

PGP Key ID - B32585D0

- Mike Scott

Mike Scott

não lida,
4 de jul. de 2015, 15:57:1704/07/2015
para luni-c...@googlegroups.com
That looks like what I tried, though FC22 uses a newer kernel
(4.0.6-300), the patch error-ed out.
I posted to the Fedora forum, but haven't heard back yet.

- Mike Scott