Issues connecting to public (retail) wifi hotspots with Kubuntu 14.10

Michael Salsman

Jan 15, 2015, 10:07:47 PM1/15/15
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
I have started having problems since upgrading to Kubuntu 14.10 from Kubuntu 13.04.

This problem occurs when I connect to a retail wifi hotspot (Starbucks/McDonalds) which requires that I accept their terms on an initial web page before I am allowed to continue to the Internet.  The hotspots are open, do not use WEP or WPA/WPA2 and the Network Manager shows that I am connected.  When running ifconfig in a terminal, I show a valid IP address that I have obtained from their router.  I also find that I am not allowed to ping to an outside address, like 4.2.2.1.

I find however when starting a browser (Firefox or Chrome) that any of my tabs from a previous session time out, and that if I open a new tab and attempt to connect to a valid URL that it also times out.

I have no problems on my home wifi network, which is set up with WPA2 Personal.

I would appreciate any thoughts on troubleshooting or possible fixes.

Regards,

Michael Salsman

Jeff Yamada

Jan 15, 2015, 10:32:48 PM1/15/15
to luni mail list
Have you tried using a different DNS? Try using a public DNS like
Google's or OpenDNS's
OpenDNS
208.67.222.222
208.67.220.220
Google DNS
8.8.8.8
8.8.4.4

Janine Starykowicz

Jan 15, 2015, 11:27:08 PM1/15/15
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
I've had problems connecting to some of these on Windows. One place in particular, I make sure to launch Opera, and I only
use it to accept/log on. That way I have the URL needed (because it doesn't always pop up). Once you are connected, close
that browser and launch the one/s you normally use.

Janine

Michael Salsman wrote:
> I have started having problems since upgrading to Kubuntu 14.10 from Kubuntu 13.04.
>
> This problem occurs when I connect to a retail wifi hotspot (Starbucks/McDonalds) which requires that I accept their terms on
> an initial web page before I am allowed to continue to the Internet. The hotspots are open, do not use WEP or WPA/WPA2 and
> the Network Manager shows that I am connected. When running /ifconfig/ in a terminal, I show a valid IP address that I have

Michael Salsman

Jan 18, 2015, 12:48:03 AM1/18/15
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
I now believe that I found that that sheer stupidity may have caused the problem.  I started looking at my settings for Firefox, and noted that at some point in the past, I had changed my preferences for Network, Connection to using System Proxy Settings instead of No Proxy.  I was able to connect at the local McDonalds, but need to try this at Starbucks and the Xfinity wireless at the local pizza pub.  I will advise in the next couple of days with hopefully my final feedback,

Thanks to everyone for their excellent suggestions.

Michael

JAMES HARVEY

Jan 18, 2015, 10:36:56 AM1/18/15
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
OOoo I'll remember that one. I have most of my machines set to manual proxy from my firewall box.

--
The only difference between men and boys, is the price of their toys.

Feb 5, 2015, 4:42:11 AM2/5/15
to LUNI
On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 9:19 AM, Michael Salsman
<michael...@gmail.com> wrote:

..... snip ....

>> I have no problems on my home wifi network, which is set up with WPA2
>> Personal.

Most likely you don't have a Proxy server or a Captive Portal in your
home network setting and things work hunky dory.

>> I would appreciate any thoughts on troubleshooting or possible fixes.

I would expect most such places to provide some instruction on how to
connect to their respective WiFi services. Have you tried asking
them?

Some may force you through a Proxy with authentication (or transparent).

Some require that you are signed into their "Captive Portal" via your
browser. You should not close the tab. Without the captive portal
connection, *all* traffic is blocked from going to the WAN. I suspect
this is your case. At Red Roof Inn, their setup requires a "Captive
Portal" connection.

HTH,
-- Arun Khan