Linux-powered NAS appliance

Mike Scott

Dec 17, 2013, 12:10:39 PM12/17/13
to AALUG Mailing List
Can anyone recommend a small NAS appliance that has a hackable Linux
system?
I'm looking for something that has up to 4 SATA drives (RAID5) with
capacity of a few TB.
My basic requirements are NFS file shares and DLNA server, but would
like to be able to add things like SlimServer and run backup scripts to
IDrive cloud.

- Mike Scott

Matthew Kurowski

Dec 17, 2013, 12:23:50 PM12/17/13
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com

Is hardware RAID a requirement?

Considered something like an Intel NUC with an external drive enclosure (which takes i3 to i7 iirc)?

There are also great AMD mobo/CPU offers that could be paired with a hardware RAID card.

If you can get a 4 bay internal or external you can boot the primary from USB or flash...

Oleg Brodkin

Dec 17, 2013, 12:53:51 PM12/17/13
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
Mike,

I used this HP ProLiant micro server to build home storage with ZFS/Solaris OS 11 Express. Rock solid, but not sure if it can run application you need.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859107921

Matthew Kurowski

Dec 17, 2013, 12:58:54 PM12/17/13
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com

Nice call. Personally for SAN/NAS I use BSD or Solaris.

JAMES HARVEY

Dec 17, 2013, 1:25:17 PM12/17/13
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
It's only two drives and now discontinued, but I have a linux based Dlink DNS320 that can easily be modified to support an SSH shell (google fonz fun_plug) so I do backups to a USB drive with Rsync. Mine is running a pair of 2T drives in raid 1 config.  The built in DLNA did not work well so I installed Twonky.

--
The only difference between men and boys, is the price of their toys.

Dec 17, 2013, 1:41:47 PM12/17/13
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
I would prefer hardware RAID.
Also, I am not really looking for a "roll-your-own" solution, but a
commercial appliance (like the Drobo footprint), that can be modified.

- Mike Scott

On Dec 17, 2013 11:10 AM, "Mike Scott" <lu...@pyewacket.org> wrote:

Can anyone recommend a small NAS appliance that has a hackable Linux
system?
I'm looking for something that has up to 4 SATA drives (RAID5) with
capacity of a few TB.
My basic requirements are NFS file shares and DLNA server, but would
like to be able to add things like SlimServer and run backup scripts to
IDrive cloud.

- Mike Scott

an email to luni-chicago...@googlegroups.com.

Matthew Kurowski

Dec 17, 2013, 1:45:14 PM12/17/13
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com

You dont have to totally roll your own. Open-e has a nice Linux offering with a free edition that still provides NAS and SAN on your hardware but is a storage distribution.

I've installed/used them on commodity and major hardware.

Matthew Kurowski

Dec 17, 2013, 4:14:34 PM12/17/13
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
It seems Buffalo is still selling products. They have 4 disk enclosure NAS hosts. I use one on occassion and it does have some small hacks... Seems likely the community site (buffalo.nas-central.org) still puts out info on that.

Mike Scott

Dec 17, 2013, 4:19:35 PM12/17/13
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
Now that you mention it, I think the SlimServer will run on a Buffalo
NAS.
At least I think I remember hearing that.
I'll check the forums. Thanks.