New swtich, slower network.

Richard Reina

Aug 15, 2016, 12:18:33 PM8/15/16
to luni-chicago
Some months ago my 13 year old linksys 10/100 switch -- that I use to link half a dozen mostly old linux boxes in my office-- died. I immeditely sent my wife to Microcenter to get a new switch and she brought me a back a new Netgear 100/1000 Gigabit switch. I immediately hooked up all the ethernet cables and turned it on and right away noticed that the connections were notbaly slower. About half the lights on the switch are green indicating 1000mb s and roughly the other are orange indicating 100mb s. However I do not understand if 100mb s is the slowest speed for this new switch, how come it is slower than the old Linksys which had a max speed of 100mb s? Can this be solved without upgrading all the old boxes that have 10/100 NICs?

Thanks

Trev Peterson

Aug 15, 2016, 5:07:02 PM8/15/16
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
You might want to try connecting just 2 machines and doing a copy or
file xfer if the speed seems good add new machines to the network and
see if the speed drops.  It could be one of the boxes is misbehaving
and flooding the network (even on switches broadcasts go out all ports
and if the switch is not good it might even pass invalid packets).
 That's where I'd start.  If it's still slow with just 1 pair connected
(I'd try an alternate pair as well if the first one is slow in case one
of those is the problem) then I'd take the switch back and see if a new
one works better.  No matter what you shouldn't see slower speeds over
a 10/100 switch.  All gigabit switches fall back to 10mbps if you have
10mpbs nics.  Hope this helps,

On Mon, 2016-08-15 at 11:18 -0500, Richard Reina wrote:
> Some months ago my 13 year old linksys 10/100 switch -- that I use to
> link half a dozen mostly old linux boxes in my office-- died. I
> immeditely sent my wife to Microcenter to get a new switch and
> shehttps://www.dateinasia.com/Cynth brought me a back a new Netgear
> 100/1000 Gigabit switch. I immediately hooked up all the ethernet
> cables and turned it on and right away noticed that the connections
> were notbaly slower. About half the lights on the switch are green
> indicating 1000mb s and roughly the other are orange indicating 100mb
> s. However I do not understand if 100mb s is the slowest speed for
> this new switch, how come it is slower than the old Linksys which had
> a max speed of 100mb s? Can this be solved without upgrading all the
> old boxes that have 10/100 NICs?
>
> Thanks
> --
Trev Peterson
Advanced Reality
Email: tr...@advanced-reality.com
Phone: +1 847 406 9018

Richard Reina

Aug 15, 2016, 6:03:32 PM8/15/16
to luni-chicago
Trev,

Thanks so much. That actually worked. One of the other machines was the cuplrit due to a sub-standard cable. Replaced the cable and now the problem is solved.

Thanks again.

> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/luni-chicago.
Trev Peterson
Advanced Reality
Email: tr...@advanced-reality.com
Phone: +1 847 406 9018

Mike Scott

Aug 16, 2016, 10:47:25 AM8/16/16
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
Actually, I was going to suggest checking cables.  We had an office that replaces 10MB hubs with 10/100 switches years ago and the network slowed due to errors over the bad wiring.

It's always the simplest part that trips you up. Glad you found the problem and hopefully you can now reap the benefits of a faster network.

 =^.^=
Mike Scott

Jeff Yamada

Aug 16, 2016, 11:24:33 AM8/16/16
to luni mail list
For the longest time I've found having even a really cheap cable
tester in my bag to be invaluable.
https://www.amazon.com/Tonor-RJ45-Network-Cable-Tester/dp/B00OUFX38W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1471299345&sr=8-2&keywords=ethernet+cable++tester
>> > send an email to luni-chicago...@googlegroups.com.
>> > Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/luni-chicago.
>> --
>> Trev Peterson
>> Advanced Reality
>> Email: tr...@advanced-reality.com
>> Phone: +1 847 406 9018

Arun Khan

Aug 16, 2016, 4:07:22 PM8/16/16
to LUNI
On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 8:24 AM, Jeff Yamada <slouc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> For the longest time I've found having even a really cheap cable
> tester in my bag to be invaluable.
> https://www.amazon.com/Tonor-RJ45-Network-Cable-Tester/dp/B00OUFX38W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1471299345&sr=8-2&keywords=ethernet+cable++tester

+1. I toss out badly crimped cables (the strands hanging out) with an
initial visual inspection.

-- Arun Khan